Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are hiring extraordinary manufacturing talent to join our production and vehicle integration operation. You will apply principles of lean manufacturing to produce vehicles in the most efficient way in aerospace manufacturing. You will be collaborating with the production supervisors and engineers to continuously improve processes and products, and ensure all production activities are performed on time, safely and in a professional manner respecting our quality standards.
Within 3 months you will:
- Become familiar with day to day operations of our team and build relationships with other Kitty Hawk team members
- Learn about complete vehicle and sub-assemblies manufacturing (electrical boxes, batteries, wire harnesses, bonding, testing, composites and assembly)
- Take primary responsibility for building and repairing vehicles and sub-assemblies, as defined by the team supervisor of each area and according to the production and vehicle integration schedule.
Within 6 months you will:
- Propose your first work instruction or process improvement
- Take part in your first workstation audit, finding ways to improve
- Train new technicians on the processes in your area
- Assist in retrofit and installation of engineering systems changes
- Acquire detailed, in-depth knowledge of aircraft subsystems
Within 12 months you will:
- Rotate with your fellow lead to take responsibility for a new area of the shop, as you gain complete knowledge of the full production lifecycle
- Operate independently as a subject-matter expert on individual systems and the aircraft as a whole
- Leverage assembly experience to provide constructive feedback on new products to ultimately improve aircraft architecture
- Responsible for an area of the shop floor, ensuring that all production activities in your area are performed on-time, safely, and in a professional manner
- Maintain incredibly high standards of workmanship, calling attention to any quality issues that are noted
- Stage, set-up, assemble, test, and install avionics & power electronics equipment on innovative vehicle
- Become the expert in your area, gaining deep knowledge of each process. Able to apply that knowledge in training new technicians while maintaining pace and quality
- Flashing and troubleshooting software on various electromechanical components
- Work closely with the production supervisor when defects are noted in order to repair the part/assembly to engineering standard
- Independently perform verifications and document results in a clear, precise and complete manner
- Collaborate with production supervisors and engineers to continuously improve processes and products
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment
- High school diploma/GED
- 2+ years of leadership experience, preference for high-volume manufacturing.3+ years of hardware installation, or production experience in automotive, aerospace, aviation, military or other high-reliability operating environment
- Solid understanding of connections, harnesses and electromechanical systems
- Solid understanding of electrical installations and experience with High Voltage (HV) and Low Voltage (LV) manufacturing, testing and assembly
- Basic understanding of composites manufacturing
- Ability to read/understand technical drawings, manuals, and reports
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.