Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a DevOp Engineer to join our flight controls team. You will be responsible for creating and automating the deployment of build and CI pipelines with a focus on SITL (software in the loop) and HITL (hardware in the loop) verification. You will also team up with controls engineers to dynamically scale simulation environments based on flight test requirements.
- Set up Bazel-based software builds and test environments
- Design CI pipelines and automation
- Adopt test driven methodologies in tools development
- Work closely with controls engineers to dynamically scale simulation environments based on flight test requirements
- Manage many system configuration profiles to support ad hoc creation of HITL or SITL simulation environments
- Develop build scripts and tools to suit flight test workloads
- Document systems and best practices for software developers and other DevOps engineers
- Troubleshoot application deployments, recreate flight test issues
- Support continuous integration, including batch simulation, various levels of hardware integration, static and dynamic analysis, and code coverage
- Bachelor’s degree or higher (or non-US equivalent) in CS, EE, IS, Math or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years of working experience in software development or systems administration
- Experience working with Bazel
- Experience with CI pipelines (BuildKite, CircleCI, Jenkins etc)
- Experience with cloud-based Linux compute (AWS, GCP etc)
- Strong coding experience with common dev-ops languages such as Python and/or Go
- Enthusiastic problem solver who loves challenges, and maintains a positive attitude in a dynamic working environment
- Experience with Haskell and Haskell/Bazel integration
- Experience with protocol buffers
- Experience with Clang / gcc tool chains
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.