Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a composite manufacturing engineer to join the Heaviside project. In this role, you will have the opportunity to take a significant breadth of prototype hardware from the stage of functional one-off to efficient volume production.
Within 3 months you will:
- Document existing designs in support of consistent manufacture
- Support design changes based on ground and flight test learnings
Within 6 months you will:
- Provide guidance on design revisions to support ease of manufacture
- Perform QI inspections on incoming parts
- Communicate with suppliers to ensure specifications are met
Within 9 months you will:
- Take ownership of parts of the BOM and PDM systems
- Manage supplier information flow
- Use your understanding of the product to reduce cost and build time
You must have a majority of, but not all, of the following experience and skills:
- Organizational ability to manage your own workflow and external suppliers
- A background in composite structures
- Quality control and testing
- Basic cost estimation and BOM management
- Mechanical CAD skills, specifically in Solidworks and Autocad
- Ability to create and interpret engineering drawings
- Must be hands on with a good mechanical intuition
Ideally you would also have the following:
- Experience in hands on production including composite laminating, CNC, manual machines, hand tools
- Flight related hobbies or pursuits, including as a pilot, hang glider, paraglider, windsurfer, RC aircraft builder, or other
- Other engineering related hobbies or job experience that add to the breadth of your engineering perspective
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.