The Packaging Sales Manager is responsible for overseeing the development, coordination and direction of the Packaging sales program for the area(s) assigned as well as maintain assigned accounts. This includes overseeing the Packaging sales team, hiring and developing sales talent, implementing and fostering corporate initiatives, maintaining Supplier relationships, and profitably maintaining and growing the Packaging segment; with direct account responsibility.
- Manage a team of seasoned sales professionals and ensure alignment with all Veritiv initiatives and employee required activities.
- Improve the individual sales rep performance and overall team productivity. Perform account reviews as needed (minimum quarterly) and make appropriate account assignments and re-assignments. Prepare relevant and thorough, as well as timely performance reviews.
- Continuously improve the quality of the sales force by finding and developing superior sales representatives in coordination with Human Resources and Talent Acquisition.
- Improve quality and profitability of accounts by making joint sales calls with sales representatives and coaching them as appropriate. Meet principals at key accounts assigned to sales reps.
- Focus on achieving sales and margin goals for all assigned sales reps, and ensure that sales expense stays within budget.
- Aggressively pursue new business development activities for Packaging segment and other Veritiv segments.
- Oversee training and account assignments for new hires.
- Follow company guidelines to promote private label sales, and maintain Preferred Supplier relationships
- Work with the credit professionals to ensure accounts receivable are kept current.
- Ensure adoption and improved usage of company technology tools by the sales team, ie. Salesforce.com. Drive training and sales adherence in pipeline management, pipeline reviews, and other important deliverables within the SFDC tool. Support all company policies and initiatives. Fulfill reporting and administrative duties as required.
- Promote and model a safe working environment, and ensure all assigned sales reps complete required safety training. Lead the safety program within the sales department and actively demonstrate safe behaviors to the team.
- May be requested to perform other duties not mentioned above.
Qualifications / Knowledge & Experience:
- Require Bachelor's College degree, preferably in Marketing, Business, or a related field; in addition to equivalent work experience
- At least 5 years successful sales experience and 3 years successful sales management experience, preferably in the industrial distribution industry.
- Must have thorough understanding of the packaging, corrugated, or other adjacent industry with in-depth knowledge of packaging products and sources.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills are essential.
- Good interpersonal and conflict management skills are essential
- Proven managerial courage and change management.
- Strong computer skills required.
- Must have strong leadership and management skills.
- Action Oriented: Readily takes action on challenges, without unnecessary planning; identifies and seizes new opportunities; displays a can-do attitude in good and bad times; and steps up to handle tough issues.
- Collaborates: Works cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives; represents own interests while being fair to others and their areas; partners with others to get work done; credits others for their contributions and accomplishments; and gains trust and support of others.
- Customer Focus: Gains insight into customer needs; identifies opportunities that benefit the customer; builds and delivers solutions that meet customer expectations; and establishes and maintains effective customer relationships.
- Delivers Results: Has a strong bottom-line orientation; persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks; has a track record of exceeding goals successfully; and pushes self and helps others achieve results.
- Instills Trust: Follows through on commitments; is seen as direct and truthful; keeps confidences; practices what he/she preaches; and shows consistency between words and actions.
- Optimizes Work Processes: Identifies and creates the processes necessary to get work done; separates and combines activities into efficient workflow; designs processes and procedures that allow managing from a distance; and seeks ways to improve processes, from small tweaks to complete reengineering.
- Communicates Effectively: Is effective in a variety of communication settings: one-on-one, small and large groups, or among diverse styles and position levels; attentively listens to others; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; provides timely and helpful information to others across the organization; and encourages the open expression of diverse ideas and opinions.
- Manages Conflict: Steps up to conflicts, seeing them as opportunities for improvement; can hammer out tough agreements and settle disputes equitably; good at focused listening; understands others quickly; can find common ground and get cooperation with minimum noise.
- Decision Quality: Makes sound decisions, even in the absence of complete information; relies on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment when making decisions; considers all relevant factors and uses appropriate decision-making criteria and principles; and recognizes when a quick 80% solution will suffice.
- Directs Work: Provides clear direction and accountabilities; delegates and distributes assignments and decisions appropriately; monitors progress by maintaining dialogue on work and results; provides appropriate guidance and direction bgased on people's capabilities; and intervenes as needed to remove obstacles.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirement:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A portion of the incumbent's job responsibilities will require PC work that involves the continuous use of the fingers, hands, wrists, and sitting for frequent periods of time. The incumbent is required to talk, see and hear. The incumbent must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Veritiv is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Individuals seeking employment are considered without regards to race, ethnicity, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status or any other classification protected by law. Additionally, Veritiv will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with Veritiv's legal duty to furnish information.