Senior Infrastructure Engineer - Remote
Button’s mission is to build a better way to do business in mobile. Today, we work with some of the largest and most interesting businesses in the world to connect consumers with what they want at the tap of a button. We build with the consumer experience in mind, have a reputation for paving the future of mobile, and have a good time doing it.
As a Senior Infrastructure Engineer, you will be responsible for owning, maintaining, and evolving our production infrastructure. The mission is to keep production happy, healthy, and high-throughput. You will have direct influence over the infrastructure that supports Button’s services, applications, and data processing systems. You will closely partner with Product Engineers and Product Managers to ensure coherent data designs for our new and existing products. You will provide and maintain a self-service platform for the system and data needs of Product Engineering to stand-up, maintain, and otherwise service the foundation for Button’s products.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to greatly influence the infrastructure vision and lead the roadmap. You will negotiate with stakeholders to help them achieve their goals, and by extension your own. You will have the opportunity to mentor others and build relationships across the organization, building a better Button in the process.
Button is based in NYC and has employees distributed throughout the US and UK. This position is for NYC, SF, or Remote. #LI-Remote
AS AN INFRASTRUCTURE ENGINEER:
- Expand our system instrumentation and tooling with monitoring, alerting, logging, and tracing for our critical business tasks. You will be responsible for identifying and following through on key system metrics. Button strives to maintain an alerting culture that keeps the pagers quiet and is rooted in actionable, customer-facing syndromes.
- Support new feature development as the go-to-partner for Product Engineering for the infrastructure and data needs, providing tools and guidance when it comes to the best practices and solving problems with our unique constraints.
- Manage and monitor most aspects of our production serving environment. We're an AWS shop, and we make heavy use of ECS, RDS, and EC2 in production, all managed through Terraform.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR TEAMMATES WHO HAVE:
- A passion for building reliable, scalable, right-sized, and well-documented systems and services for supporting Button’s products, as well as an interest in exploring new technologies.
- Building internal tools and scripting solutions. This will require comfort operating across the entire span of a data processing pipeline and software development cycles(including supporting CI/CD and scaling the platform).
- Fluency in and around Linux systems. You should be comfortable in a variety of troubleshooting situations that involve the health of the underlying system.
- Fluency in and around traditional SQL databases as well as BigQuery. You're comfortable understanding and debugging situations like slow queries and failed migrations.
- A security- and safety-oriented mindset. You have good instincts for how to balance empowering developers versus maintaining a principle of least necessary privilege.
- An ability to move fast, make decisions, and take a pragmatic approach to any problem. We know there are lots of ways to accomplish the same goal; you’ll find and champion the best approaches for our team.
- A track record of“leveling-up” the team around them, driving impact not just through their own contributions but also by elevating others.
- Experience and comfort in a production environment. You’ll be working in a“magic-free” service-oriented environment.
- 5+ years experience supporting and building infrastructure with direct hands-on experience with a variety of tools and frameworks. Today, Button uses EC2, RD2, and ECS, all managed through Terraform. We also rely on AWS SQS/SNS, GCP BigQuery/AI notebook, Airflow, dbt, Fivetran, and Looker.
- Proficiency with both relational and non-relational databases
- Experience with SQL
- Experience with Python, Go, or Node.js is a plus
- Experience or proficiency with AWS and GCP are a plus
- An awareness of the landscape of available data storage and processing tools as well as eagerness to keep up with new technology
MORE ABOUT US:
- Button was founded in 2014. We’ve raised $65M in funding. Most recently we announced our $30M Series C in June 2019, led by Icon Ventures. Our investors include Norwest, Redpoint, Greycroft, DCM, and Capital One Ventures. We’re approximately 20 engineers and 40 people overall.
- We believe and invest in personal growth, and we’ve got the results to back it up. We’ve been recognized multiple times by Fortune, Inc., and Crain’s magazines as one of the best places to work in the US.
- We value diversity and come from all sorts of different backgrounds. We were especially proud the first time we hired a coding boot camp graduate.
Button is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Button is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.
To read more about what personal information we collect on your behalf and for what purposes we use such information, click here.