Requisition Number: MEDIC02839
In the Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Occupational Safety and Health, Research and Standards Development Health Unit, under general direction of the Deputy Chief of Health, the Medical Officer is responsible for medical and epidemiologic consultation and assistance on investigations of COVID-19 cases and outbreaks assigned to the Division.
This position is for a 24-month period unless additional funding is available.
This position may be required to work flexible hours, weekends, and holidays.
Must submit a resume and cover letter with the application. Please provide three professional references.
- Provides medical and epidemiologic consultation and assistance to Cal/OSHA colleagues on investigations of COVID-19 cases and outbreaks in workplaces.
- Researches latest SARS-2-CoV-2 and COVID-19 related science publications and research.
- Participates on COVID-19 calls and meetings, and provides COVID-19 updates, including making presentations.
- Prepares written reports or summaries of responses to queries, situation updates, reviews of data, research, scientific publications, and other issues as assigned.
- Interacts with local public health jurisdictions, the California Department of Public Health, and other agencies as needed on investigations of COVID-19 cases and outbreaks in workplaces.
- Participates in COVID-19 occupational health training for Cal/OSHA colleagues, other agencies, and the public
- Testifies at a hearing as an expert witness on COVID-19, infectious diseases, and occupational illnesses.
- Assistance with case investigations other than COVID-19 cases, as needed.
- Represents Cal/OSHA at COVID-19 meetings of various Advisory Committees as directed, performs other duties for the department and Cal/OSHA as
Other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of School of Medicine.
- Board Certified in Occupational Medicine, Preventative Medicine and/or Infectious Diseases, preferred.
- Two years’ experience in occupational or public health, including outbreak investigations preferred.
- Active California M.D. license
Other Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Ability to analyze data and interpret results.
- Skilled in preparing summaries, written responses, and oral presentations.
- Ability to organize data, materials and time management.
- Knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, and Access databases.
- Knowledge and experience with the use of the California Reportable Diseases Information Exchange.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Sit: Frequently
- Handling / Fingering: Occasionally
- Reach Outward: Occasionally
- Reach Above Shoulder: Occasionally
- Climb, Crawl, Kneel, Bend: Occasionally
- Lift / Carry: Occasionally - Up to 50 lbs
- Push/Pull: Occasionally - Up to 50 lbs
- See: Constantly
- Taste/ Smell: Not Applicable
Not Applicable = Not required for essential functions
Occasionally = (0 - 2 hrs/day)
Frequently = (2 - 5 hrs/day)
Constantly = (5+ hrs/day)
General Office Setting, Indoors Temperature Controlled / May work remotely
It is the policy of Heluna Health to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.