Roofstock is the leading marketplace for investing in single-family rental homes that cash flow day one. With over $1B in transactions, our mission is to make real estate investing radically accessible, cost effective and simple. We want to use technology to transform the way real estate is bought and sold and make real estate investing as simple as investing in stocks. Simply put, we are passionate about helping our customers build wealth through real estate.
Roofstock has been recognized as a great workplace by Glassdoor and Great Place to Work® and was recently named to the Forbes Fintech 50 and the Red Herring 100 lists of most innovative companies. Roofstock has raised $83M to date, is based in Oakland with approximately 180 people and is growing rapidly. Check out our reviews and see why our employees love working here!
We are looking for a talented Data Engineer to join an established but small and quickly growing company working on a wide range of data projects in close collaboration with other data engineers, data scientists, and analysts in an integrated Data Team. We use a modern all-cloud data stack including Airflow, DBT, Python3, Snowflake, Fivetran, Mixpanel, Tableau, Sigma, and our old friend SQL.
You thrive in a team environment, and are willing to pitch in wherever needed to help the team succeed, and are excited to enable the creation of AI systems and enable data-driven decision making.
What You Will Do:
- Build fault-tolerant pipelines that ingest, and refine large diverse datasets into simplified, accessible data models in production
- Build tools and fundamental data sets that encourage self-service
- Be responsible for data accuracy and integrity, implement data quality code and SLAs
- Improve and maintain the data infrastructure(orchestration via airflow, deployment & execution via docker, working with devops for IAS-level automation(they’ll handle the terraform)
- Work with varied structured, semi-structured(streaming and SOA messages), and unstructured datasets(including images)
What You Bring With You:
- BS or MS in a technical field: computer science, engineering, science, or similar
- 3+ years experience building robust data pipelines beyond simple API pulls
- 3+ years experience in writing production python code, shell scripts, and complex SQL
- 1+ year building and deploying data-related infrastructure(messaging, storage, compute/transform, execution via docker, and/or CI/CD pipelines across dev/stage/prod environments) in the cloud and desire to learn more. You don’t need to be an expert in everything, but should be conversant and show aptitude.
- Experience with schema design and dimensional data modeling
- Structured approach to problem solving: ability to take a broad challenge and break it down into solvable components
- Engineer’s eye for automation and fault tolerance, deep empathy for users of the data
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, prototype rapidly, and meet deadlines
- Strong communication and collaboration skills to effectively explain, influence, and advise with interdisciplinary partners
- Bonus: experience using modern big data systems: Spark, Hadoop, Presto, Kafka, etc.
What We Offer:
- An opportunity to be part of a well-funded early-stage start-up
- Equity incentives to give you a stake in our future
- Medical, Vision and Dental for you (95%) and your dependents (65%)
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Flexible Time Off and sick days
- An upbeat and collaborative work culture
- A fully stocked kitchen with snacks and meals
- Company-sponsored outings
- Discounted Gym Memberships
Roofstock is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Roofstock, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.