Requisition ID# 29282
Job Category : Maintenance / Construction / Operations
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Information Technology
Job Location: Stockton
IT T200 Maintenance and Operations maintains and operates PG&E's telecommunications, infrastructure, service centers and substation facilities, providing more support from San Francisco to San Carlos. We are a unified organization comprised of various departments which collaborate effectively in order to deliver high quality technology solutions and support to our internal customers.
This is an International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 1245 represented classification, which has over 100 years of experience representing employees at PG&E. This job is subject to collective bargaining.
Apprentice Telecommunications Technicians, work as an assistant to or under the general direction of a Telecommunications Technician. They will assist to install, test and maintain telecommunications systems, including but not limited to intercommunication systems, telephone voice over IP systems, PBX, voice and data-switching systems, major operations computers, supervisory, power and telephone line carriers, microwave, SCADA Control systems , fiber optics, multiplex, radio - both voice and data, remote signal and remote control equipment, load frequency control, telemetering equipment, power systems including UPS, DC chargers and large battery banks.
Apprentice Telecommunications Technicians will trouble shoot from basic electronic schematics, both with and without assistance; install protective grounding on power systems and maintain communication circuit prints. They are responsible for investigating, correcting, and/or making recommendations to correct user station equipment, personal computers and related equipment problems; as well as radio and television interference complaints.
- Work safely and promote safety for yourself and others.
- Keep PG&E's communication systems operational to support both business and communication networks needed to provide electricity to our customers.
- Work with our Telecommunication Control Center to ensure that outages are minimized and clients are informed through a clearance process.
- Provide maintenance and repair of these systems in a timely and professional manner.
- Report problems to local management and escalate issues as need be.
- Learn to install, calibrate, troubleshoot & replace various telemetry equipment to maintain the integrity of our canals and power houses
- Learn to Install and maintain pressure, level & flow instrumentation
- Learn to install and maintain remote solar systems
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a High School diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
- Must possess a valid California Driver's License
- Ability to work in all types of weather extremes
- Ability to drive safely in all weather and road conditions
- Ability to work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays
- Must be able to lift 100 pounds a minimum of one time a day
- Must be able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Must be able to work with and/or around helicopters, bucket trucks and substations.
- Must be able to climb towers and be comfortable with heights
- Able and willing to perform physical activities as mentioned in the job posting (with accommodation, if required)
- Able and willing to work in, with and around water
- Work around poison oak, snakes, spiders, and insects.
- Must possess a valid Radio Telephone Operator License - FCC or Company-approved certificate
Internal PG&E Employees: Must have qualified on the Physical Test Battery (PTB), Work Orientation Inventory (WOI), and Industrial Skills (IST) exams prior to applying and Apprentice Telecommunications Technician (CTT) exam prior to interviewing
External and Hiring Hall Candidates: Must qualify on the Physical Test Battery (PTB), Apprentice Telecommunications Technician (CTT), Work Orientation Inventory (WOI), and Industrial Skills (IST) exams prior to interviewing
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Associate degree or technical certification in IT, Computer Science or Electronics
- Leadership experience
- Possess communication skills, both written and verbal
- Demonstrated work experience/knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to foster teamwork, collaborative environment
- Possess Federal Communications General Radio Telephone License
- Military experience
- SCADA & Substation Experience
- Technical training background
- Live within 50 miles
PG&E Employees: You must have qualified on all prerequisite tests prior to submitting an application; and all secondary tests prior to interviewing. For more information on prerequisite and secondary exams, including study guides, please visit the Pre-employment testing program website.
- Apprentice TeleComm. Tech Test
- Industrial Skills Test
- Physical Test Battery
- Work Orientation Inventory-Physical/Technical Driving