Subcontract Technical Representative, UPF (Oak Ridge, TN, US)
Requisition ID: 264470
- Relocation Authorized: National - Family
- Telework Type: Full-Time Office/Project
- Work Location: Oak Ridge, TN
Bechtel National, Inc. (BNI), Bechtel’s government services business, is one of the top providers to departments and agencies of the U.S. and British governments. Its successes include many large, first-of-a-kind projects in government site management, environmental restoration, defense, space, energy, and national and homeland security. This position will provide support to the Uranium Processing Facility (UPF) located at the Y-12 National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
UPF is a multi-year, multi-billion dollar project and will be a first-of-its-kind complex for enriched uranium operations in support of Y-12 missions. UPF is one of the Department of Energy’s largest investments in Tennessee since the Manhattan Project and one of the National Nuclear Security Administration’s largest construction projects. When complete, UPF will: replace a 70-year-old facility with modern buildings, reduce operational costs and energy consumption, improve worker safety, and provide enriched uranium capabilities well into the future.
The UPF project has multiple work schedules that are subject to change and may require employees to work overtime, weekends, and/or night shift when a business need arises. Work schedule and overtime are to be approved in advance by supervisors.
Eligibility for this position requires US citizenship; successful candidate must provide proof of US citizenship in order to obtain badge access to the site. Candidate must complete security questionnaire and successfully clear site access requirements check. All employees are subject and agree to random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of employment. Must be able to obtain a security clearance, as applicable.
Assigned to the Uranium Processing Facility (UPF) Construction organization in a Subcontract Technical Representative (STR) position.
- Overall planning, coordination and scheduling of subcontractor work.
- Interface with Area STR and other team members; serve as focal point for coordination of work by assigned subcontracts.
- Monitoring and inspecting the subcontractor’s quality of work, validating subcontractors installed quantities and monthly progress payments and invoices
- Monitoring subcontractor force account and time and management reports, and coordinating subcontractor’s activities with work performed by others
- Performing surveillances and inspections of subcontractors’ work to confirm compliance with subcontract requirements, monitoring subcontractor submittals and coordinating project review of same, and coordinating with the UPF Engineering and when applicable, the subcontractors design entity for Engineer Procure and Construct (EPC) subcontracts
- Exercises professional judgment within the framework of broad guidelines provided by superiors. Providing direction to subcontractors, construction office technical or clerical personnel
- Will primarily serve as a STR but may specialize in a single field or assume a lead role in a specific segment of a construction project.
- May participate as the Construction representative during the formation and bid, evaluate, and award phases of assigned subcontracts, and monitoring the subcontractors work processes to ensure adherence to the principles of Integrated Safety Management System to ensure health and safety of the worker, and quality, productivity, and consistency of the workplace.
- Operates with considerable latitude, exercising independent judgment and utilizing construction knowledge and experience in resolution of typical questions and problems which may arise.
- Manages and coordinates Subcontractor Construction Work Packages (CWPs) to support subcontract activities in the field.
- Manages subcontract specific Condition Reports including creating Corrective Action Plans and participating in Casual (apparent/root) Analysis
- May supervise and/or direct other STR personnel within an assigned scope or area and coordinates with STR Construction Manager and STR Lead on process/procedure implementation.
- Coordinates subcontract execution and scheduling needs with Area STR and/or Area Team.
- Level I: B.S. Degree in Engineering or similar and 6 years of experience or 12 years related experience in lieu of degree
- Level II: B.S. Degree in Engineering or similar and 9 years of experience or 15 years related experience in lieu of degree
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must be able to complete a pre-employment drug screen and background check, including verification of employment and education
- Must be able to obtain site security badge for access to work site
- Knowledge and experience of DOE, DOD and/or commercial nuclear construction projects is required.
- Must have working knowledge of the Bechtel Standard Work Processes Procedures (SWPPs) and the related Bechtel Standard application Programs (BSAPs).
- Candidates should be self-starters, highly motivated, requiring little supervision, and able to work well in a team environment.
- The candidate should have a good working knowledge of current design codes and standards such as NFPA, ACI, AISC, ASME, as well as NQA-1 requirements.
- Knowledge of environmental compliance standards required on NNSA/DOE projects.
- Knowledge of Bechtel’s “Zero Accidents” safety program.
- Familiarity with nuclear quality and commercial practice standards is desired.
- Must be physically capable to conduct field inspections and participate in project walk-downs which require the following activities: extensive walking in and around a construction site, climbing ladders, climbing scaffolding, walking on elevated platforms, walking on uneven surfaces, climbing in very small and/or confined spaces, and lifting up to 60 lbs.
- Recent experience in Civil engineering and/or managing a Bechtel civil type subcontract at a major EPC Project (UPF)
- Previous experience managing Construction/Subcontract field design changes.
- Previous experience with Civil related work activities (concrete, materials testing, concrete batch plant)
- Additional experience in structural or architectural commodities installation a plus.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
In accordance with Bechtel's duty to provide and maintain a safe workplace for our employees and to safeguard the health of our families, customers, and visitors, we have adopted mandatory COVID-19 safety protocols for each work location, which may include a vaccination or testing requirement. Please speak with your Bechtel recruiter to determine which protocols apply to the work location for the job you are seeking.