Subcontract Technical Representative, UPF (Oak Ridge, TN, US)
Requisition ID: 261545
- Relocation Authorized: National - Family
- Telework Type: Full-Time Office/Project
- Work Location: Oak Ridge, TN
Bechtel National, Inc. (BNI), Bechtel’s government services business, is one of the top providers to departments and agencies of the U.S. and British governments. Its successes include many large, first-of-a-kind projects in government site management, environmental restoration, defense, space, energy, and national and homeland security. This position will provide support to the Uranium Processing Facility (UPF) located at the Y-12 National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
UPF is a multi-year, multi-billion dollar project and will be a first-of-its-kind complex for enriched uranium operations in support of Y-12 missions. UPF is one of the Department of Energy’s largest investments in Tennessee since the Manhattan Project and one of the National Nuclear Security Administration’s largest construction projects. When complete, UPF will: replace a 70-year-old facility with modern buildings, reduce operational costs and energy consumption, improve worker safety, and provide enriched uranium capabilities well into the future.
The UPF Construction project has multiple work schedules that are subject to change and may require employees to work overtime, weekends, and/or night shift when a business need arises.
Eligibility for this position requires US citizenship; successful candidate must provide proof of US citizenship in order to obtain badge access to the site. Candidate must complete security questionnaire and successfully clear site access requirements check. All employees are subject and agree to random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of employment. Must be able to obtain a security clearance, as applicable.
In this position, the individual will represent the Construction organization and will take the overall lead in the formation of multiple individual subcontracts. Includes active participation and involvement in the bid, evaluation and award phases of assigned subcontracts.
- Assigned to the Uranium Processing Facility Construction organization as a Senior Subcontract Technical Representative.
- Post award responsibilities will include facilitating submittal receipt, coordination of project review and approval, conducting progress and coordination meetings and monitoring the subcontractors work processes to ensure adherence to subcontract requirements.
- For design/build subcontracts, coordinate with the UPF Engineering and the subcontractors design entity. Day to day responsibilities will include monitoring and inspection of subcontractor’s quality of work, validating subcontractors installed quantities and concurrence with monthly progress payments and invoices; and coordinating subcontractor’s activities with work performed by others. Additionally, this individual will perform surveillances and inspections of subcontractors work to confirm compliance with subcontract quality requirements.
- This individual will exercise professional judgment within the framework of guidelines provided by the Subcontracts Manager in Construction. Operates with considerable latitude, exercising independent judgment and utilizing construction knowledge and experience in resolution of issues, questions and problems. Issues management will be a considerable part of the position responsibilities. Will provide technical and contractual direction to subcontractors and will facilitate the supporting effort of construction office technical or clerical personnel.
- Knowledge and experience in the principles of Integrated Safety Management System are required for this position to provide oversight to ensure the health and safety of the subcontractor worker; and the quality, compliance and consistency on the UPF construction work site.
- May specialize in a discipline field or area. This individual may assume a lead role in a specific segment or phase of the overall UPF construction project.
Qualifications and Skills
- Level I: B.S. Degree in Engineering or similar and 9+ years of experience or lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED Equivalent and 15+ years of related experience.
- Level II: B.S. Degree in Engineering or similar and 13+ years of experience or lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED Equivalent and 19+ years of related experience.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be able to complete a pre-employment drug screen and background check, including verification of employment, education and travel.
- Must be physically able to conduct field inspections and participate in project walk-downs which may require the following activities: extensive walking in and around a construction site, climbing ladders, climbing scaffolding, using fall protection and other personal protective equipment (PPE), walking on elevated platforms, walking on uneven surfaces, and maneuvering around very small and/or confined spaces.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience and extensive knowledge of the Bechtel Subcontract Formation Manual, Bechtel Construction Subcontract Management Manual, Bechtel Standard Work Processes Procedures* and associated Bechtel Standard Application Programs utilized by Construction.
- The candidate should have a good working knowledge of current design codes and standards such as ACI, AISC, ASME, as with well as NQA-1 requirements and knowledge of environmental compliance standards required on NNSA/DOE or other Federal government projects.
- Familiarity with nuclear quality and commercial practice standards is required.
- The candidate provides input into development of the overall project method of accomplishment strategy, subcontract agreements and engineering deliverables to support and augment construction execution planning.
- Ability to provide clear and precise verbal and written communications with subcontractors, design engineers and customer representatives is critical.
- Knowledge, experience and understanding of Bechtel proforma and the subcontract requirements prescribed therein is of extreme importance.
- Knowledge of required engineering deliverables necessary for subcontract formation and execution is a significant qualification for this position.
- Previous supervisory experience and the ability oversee and train others is a major qualification for this position.
*Specifically, 4MP-T81-04101, 4MP-T81-04102 and 4MP-T81-07107
- Recent Subcontract Technical Representative or Subcontract Coordinator experience in subcontract formation; supervisory and/or management experience a plus
- Recent Subcontract Management experience for major construction project
- Previous Bechtel experience working at a Department of Energy or other Federal government project site
- Previous Bechtel experience as a Field Engineer and/or Superintendent is a plus
- Bechtel Certification (B-Cert) as a Lead Subcontractor Technical Representative or a viable candidate for this certification
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
In accordance with Bechtel's duty to provide and maintain a safe workplace for our employees and to safeguard the health of our families, customers, and visitors, we have adopted mandatory COVID-19 safety protocols for each work location, which may include a vaccination or testing requirement. Please speak with your Bechtel recruiter to determine which protocols apply to the work location for the job you are seeking.