Engineer - Infrastructure Systems
Great Lakes Dredge & Dock (GLDD) Corporation is the largest provider of dredging, land reclamation and beach nourishment services in the United States, and the only U.S. dredging company with significant international operations. With the largest and most diverse dredging fleet in the U.S., Great Lakes serves a wide range of customers including the US Army Corps of Engineers; state, local and foreign governments; and private companies both internationally and domestically. Headquartered in Oak Brook, Illinois, GLDD has more than 200 pieces of dredging equipment located strategically throughout North America and in various locations throughout the world. We are currently seeking an Engineer – Infrastructure Systems to join our team. The position is at our Oak Brook, IL office.
The Engineer – Infrastructure Systems is responsible for managing all aspects of the IT infrastructure, including physical and virtual servers, storage systems, networks, and the software systems that run on them.
Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Install and configure hardware and software, maintain, administer, support and document all systems in the assigned functional area(s), including:
- Virtual servers and appliances, and back end components of an enterprise virtualization infrastructure
- Storage area network (SAN) infrastructure
- Backup and recovery systems and processes
- Microsoft Active Directory, including domain controllers, DHCP and DNS
- Microsoft Windows Server and infrastructure software
- Network switching, routing and firewall equipment, including VLAN tagging
- Fleet technology, including server equipment and satellite and cellular connectivity
- Corporate and remote office connectivity, including L2L VPNs
- Utilize scripting and software tools to increase efficiency and automation
- Collect requirements, research and design systems and solutions
- Generate security related reports required for regulatory compliance
- Perform duties mindfully and with a high level of skill under minimal supervision.
- Work closely with colleagues in IT and in the user community
- Provide occasional direct support to end users
- Provide technical expertise in the resolution of system and infrastructure problems and projects as appropriate
- 4-7 years of experience with Microsoft Operating Systems and infrastructure platforms
- 4-7 years of experience with Cisco switches, routers, firewalls and Wi-Fi access points
- 2-5 years of direct experience with VMWare virtualization technology
- 2-5 year of experience and a strong understanding of SAN technologies
- Demonstrated ability to apply skills and knowledge to solve complex problems
- Initiative and excellent organizational skills, the ability to work within a team and to work independently, and to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- A desire to keep abreast of new and emerging technologies
- A strong work ethic and drive to surpass expectations
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Ability to navigate ladders and crawl spaces, and transfer between vessels at sea
- Travel (20% – 50%) will be required
- Competitive salary and bonus program.
- 401(k) program that includes 100% company matching of the first 6% of employee contributions with immediate vesting.
- Annual profit-sharing contributions by the company to participants' 401(k) accounts based on company's annual performance.
- Medical, Dental, Prescription, Life and Disability insurance plans.
Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, disability status, genetic information or any other protected category.