Back Market revolutionizes the way people buy tech devices. We think it's time to offer a strong and mainstream alternative to new products by making used devices more appealing to potential customers and making them accessible as a strong alternate option.
About Back Market:
Freeing the planet from electronic waste, leading the shift towards a circular economy, and building a billion-dollar tech company are three solid reasons to wake up in the morning.
Founded five years ago in Paris, Back Market is the world's first online marketplace dedicated exclusively to second-hand devices. Similar to how Airbnb aggregates homeowners and travelers on one trusted platform to draw economic value from a previously underutilized asset — vacant living spaces — Back Market connects certified professionals specializing in the refurbishing and resale of used electronics with consumers looking for a more affordable, reliable, and environmentally-friendly alternative to buying new.
The annual global market for second-hand devices is estimated at roughly $80 billion, yet people spend up to $1.2 trillion on new devices every year. This indicates enormous untapped potential for the refurbishing industry. Back Market is laser-focused on unlocking that potential. Our mission is to make refurbished mainstream — something that appeals to the masses. In our ideal state, consumers should no longer have any factual reason to buy new instead of refurbished.
Today, Back Market is present in five European countries: France, Spain, Germany, Italy, and Belgium (with plans to open 20 more in the coming year). We launched in the U.S. in 2018, and 18 months later, the growth of our American platform has significantly outpaced the growth of any other market over the same period. Based in Brooklyn, New York, our team is working tirelessly to scale the U.S. business (facing competition from Amazon and eBay) and transform Back Market into a unicorn. For this reason, we're looking for young, talented, and ambitious candidates to join us as we catalyze the refurbished revolution together!
About the Opportunity:
The goal of the Business Development team is to grow the supply of products on our site. We do this by bringing new sellers onto the platform and by growing the business of existing sellers. As a result, we divide the team into two separate roles: New Business Development and Account Management.
As an Account Manager, you will be responsible for developing and managing long-term relationships with our existing partners and growing sellers' business on Back Market. Similar to a consultant, you will leverage data and apply problem-solving skills with the goal of delivering excellent service to your clients. You would also have the ability to work on side projects related to other areas of the business (e.g. designing and implementing new processes to optimize the efficiency of our team).
What We're Looking For:
- Persuasiveness and persistence. You never take “no“ for an answer — if you miss a flight, are you going to turn around and go home, or are you going to find a seat on the next plane, even when you've been told there are no seats?
- Analytical, problem-solving mindset. You have a knack for breaking down complexity into its fundamental building blocks. You know how to ask the right questions and listen proactively, and you have a natural instinct to frame every hurdle or pain point as an exciting opportunity to find a creative and constructive solution
- Ability to execute and be resourceful. It's important to have ideas, but are you able to translate them into reality?
- Effective communication skills. Can you explain Back Market to a third grader? In other words, can you explain a complicated concept to an audience that has absolutely no context or technical expertise on the subject?
- Entrepreneurial drive. You are incredibly ambitious about your career and obsessed with scaling a company from zero to one. You bring energy and excellence to everything you do — you literally don't know how to not give 110%.
- Team player. Do you feel genuine happiness for others' successes, especially when they have absolutely no benefit to you?
- Curiosity. You have an insatiable appetite for exploring the world and learning new things. Like a sponge, you want to absorb the whole universe — nothing is boring to you. You find fascination even in the most mundane things.
- Conviction. You have the courage and self-assurance to stand by an idea, particularly when others are doubting you. You'd rather stick by your beliefs than be liked.
- Intellectual honesty, humility, and self-awareness. You have the intelligence and professional maturity to recognize when you are wrong and change your opinion on something.
- Organization and attention to detail. You are actually bothered by sloppiness, and you get the significance of the following quote: “simplicity... comes from conquering complexities, not ignoring them.“
- Passion for tech, entrepreneurship, and/or the environment. You spend your free time learning about at least one of these three subjects!