Orbit is the world's leading retail brand for outdoor watering products and is a global thought leader in water conservation. The Orbit, Hydro-Rain, and B-hyve brands deliver innovation, ease-of-use, unmatched value and Smart Technology to homeowners across 6 continents and 40 countries. Orbit was founded in Davis County in the 1970s and is an active supporter of the community.
We are looking to fill an entry-level Financial Accountant position! This position is responsible for maintenance of the corporate books and records for Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) purposes, including the accurate and timely preparation, presentation and analysis of monthly financial statements. This includes the maintenance of various and sundry subsidiary systems, schedules, work books, work papers, reports, queries and tables that all provide critical input data to the financials taken as a whole.
Direct applicants only, please!
If you feel that you're the right match for the position then apply immediately! If you don't feel you're the right match then refer a friend, and check back for future job postings. We are always searching for new talent!
Our Expectations from You
- Maintains work papers supporting balance sheet and income statement accounts; including the documentation of all journal entries made along with supporting SQL queries, schedules, work books, or supporting subsidiary systems. Understands and books complex accounting transactions in an environment using disparate legacy systems that maintain subsidiary-ledger data in a non-integrated environment. SQL reporting is often required to pull data and make journal entries into G/L.
- Drives process standardization by maintaining all documentation for financial accounting processes
- On a monthly basis produces Individual Company Financial Statements (balance sheet and income statement in both detail and summary format); Consolidating Schedules and Consolidated Financial Statements; eliminations and foreign-currency translation, various graphs and tables that are needed to complete the Executive Reporting Packet for management – including key metric / restrictive bank covenant reporting for working capital
- On a monthly basis assists with reporting our financial results to our lending institution in support of an existing working-capital line of credit needed to fund the business operations.
- On a monthly basis produces full (top to bottom) and Separate Divisional Income Statements for each of the two divisions within the company (Division 1; Division 2); various graphs and tables that are needed to explain the divisional results adequately to management.
- On a monthly basis produces a separate Executive Overview Report, which highlights key elements of the detailed divisional income statements, and explains certain “harder to understand“ concepts or numbers - including swings in Gross Margin percentages, inventory write-downs, vendor claims for defectives, miscellaneous credit memos and/or A/R adjustments, manufacturing variances (direct labor variances, manufacturing overhead variances, and injection molding variances), operating expense variances and fixed asset impairment.
- Responsible for the intuitive formulation and reasonable accuracy of the estimation process for the various allowances in the financial statements including defectives, volume rebates, coop advertising, overstock returns, buybacks, inventory write-downs, and bad debts.
- Responsible to help drive business alignment; supported through frequent interaction with personnel in marketing, procurement, engineering, sales and manufacturing.
- Involved in IT development projects to continuously improve data accumulation systems and reporting capabilities. Create and review controls needed for accurate data accumulation and reporting.
- Recommends to management any updates to accounting policies as necessary.
- Collects, reviews and maintains supporting documentation to ensure that expenditures are adequately supported and properly classified in accordance with accounting standards and company policy.
- Maintains the chart of accounts and financial statement formats to ensure consistent and accurate coding of all accounting transactions.
- Assists with the annual year-end inventory count and close-out process. Includes various processes and procedures to conduct an auditable physical inventory count and prepare for the 3rd-party financial audit, which includes inventory counts and valuations.
- Assists with the annual Pro-Forma / Budget process that establishes the Plan against performance is measured. This includes forecasting each and every line item in the income statement(s) and using a variety of reporting tools and estimation methods to project amounts for that respective area. Monthly analysis highlights key variances to plan, initiates root-cause analysis and ultimately leads to recommended actions to stay on target.
- Utilizes SQL and Excel (data tables and pivot tables) for efficient reporting and analysis.
- Proven ability to be a self-Starter
- Strategic thinker with a desire for continuous improvement
What You Can Expect from Us
Our motto is “Conservation through Innovation!“ and we work to make that a reality through our core values: (1) Quality of Life, (2) Caring Relationships, (3) Attitude, and (4) Innovation & Continuous Improvement. We understand work will not always be your top priority, so we strive to help you balance your work life with your non-work life. We value your contributions and strive to create a safe and positive work environment.
In addition to traditional benefits*, we also offer:
- A free Onsite Care Clinic
- UTA Eco pass
- Opportunities to test new Orbit products
- and more
- conditions apply
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting
- Proficient in Excel (formulas, macros, pivot tables, graphs)
- 0-3 years financial accounting experience
- Foundational understanding of financial accounting
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP and knowledge of bills of material, standard manufacturing cost systems, manufacturing efficiency measures and manufacturing practices
- Experience with ERP/MRP systems preferred
- SQL reporting experience preferred or a willingness to learn
Physical and Safety Requirements:
- Sedentary: Typically, the associate may sit comfortably to perform the work; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, carrying light items, driving an automobile, etc. Special physical demands are not required to perform the work.
- Everyday Risks: Risks found in the typical office setting, which is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated, e.g., safe use of office equipment, avoiding trips and falls, observing fire regulations, etc.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Since our founding, the Orbit name has been associated with innovative and high-quality home improvement products. Today, we carry those traits with us as we expand our vision to become the world's leading home improvement products company. Our mission is to empower and inspire customers to improve their homes by providing innovative, easy-to-use products with unmatched value.
With facilities worldwide, Orbit is the world leader in manufacturing and supplying irrigation, misting, and home improvement products to homeowners in forty countries across five continents. Our manufacturing capabilities span the scope of national and international product development and design, skilled engineering resources, and state-of-the-art injection molding facilities.
Learn more at www.orbitonline.com.
Orbit Irrigation is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, who participates in E-Verify. Reference checks are a prerequisite for employment. All offers are contingent on completion of a drug screening and may be contingent on completion of a criminal background check. All successful candidates must provide original documents that will establish their identity and eligibility to work in the United States as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act.