Manufacturing Quality Engineer - Zero Defects (Quality Engineer 4) (North Hollywood, CA, United States, 91605)
Innovation is at the heart of everything we do at Meggitt, a worldwide leader in aerospace, defence and selected energy markets. We believe in our vision of ‘Enabling the Extraordinary: To Fly, To Power, To Live”. These core values – teamwork, integrity and excellence – are what have allowed us to become the company we are today. With facilities and over 10,000 employees worldwide, Meggitt draws on over 160 years of expertise to enhance the lives of people across the globe.
Our Corporate Functions keep our business competitive by providing first-class support from Quality through to Finance and HR.
Headquartered in the UK, Meggitt PLC is a global engineering group specialising in extreme environment components and smart sub-systems for aerospace, defence and energy markets. Some 10,000 people are employed across manufacturing facilities in Asia, Europe and North America and regional bases in Brazil, India and the Middle East.
Manufacturing Quality Engineer (MQE) supports the site SLC in executing zero defect activities. This is a “hands on” role and the MQ Engineer will identify and drive key problem solving projects to eliminate Internal and External escapes, improve first pass yield, rework and scrap issues. The MQ Engineer will ensure the day to day project execution & coordination at the manufacturing site. Will be a Subject matter Expert (SME) for Zero Defects improvement & quality system projects (PFMEA, DFMEA, 8D, SPC, MSA, CP etc.)
The site MQE activities are focused on product and process performance, supporting both new programs and current production. The ZD site engineer will provide the link between Group Quality, HPS, Site and interaction with all functions.
Job Core Responsibilities
- Have excellent knowledge of core zero defect engineering tools (i.e. DFMEA, PFMEA, MSA, SPC, PPAP, APQP, and 8D)
- Conduct best practice containment actions as a first step
- Conduct and review site Manufacturing Process reviews and assessments
- Drive open issues at the sites to resolution using appropriate problem-solving tools
- Develop Zero Defect plan to eliminate defects
- Schedule and conduct reviews with site management as required
- Conduct capacity verification process and verify production trial runs
- Drive capability (Ppk & Cpk)
- Ensure completion of flawless launch initiatives
- Support management meetings as required
- Provide on-site assistance as required
- Analyze capacity, yields, capability & drive improvement
- Support Fresh Eyes reviews as required 8-D / Concern Resolution
- Ensure governance is robust and timely
- Carry out ZD training as required
Educations: Post-secondary degree in Engineering or equivalent combination of relevant education and work experience that will allow successful performance of job expectations
Years Experience: 10 Years or more of relevant Experience
Travel: Although Site based, this role will require up to 50% travel to other Meggitt sites as required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work in multi-functional teams including suppliers, to exact deadlines and often under pressure.
- Working knowledge of problem solving tools and techniques.
- New part Introduction, Project Management, problem solving/resolution tools and techniques all within an aerospace environment
- Conversant with the suite of Microsoft Office software packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- HNC/D or degree (preferred but not essential), in a relevant discipline (engineering / manufacturing based).
- PPAP experience including FAI
- Knowledge of statistical techniques is an advantage.
- Knowledge of aerospace industry standards and regulations
- Preferred formal continuous improvement qualification (green or black belt)
Environmental & Physical Requirements
Office / Sedentary Requirements
Incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of the job. Work is performed primarily in an office environment. Typically requires the ability to sit for extended periods of time (66%+ each day), ability to hear the telephone, ability to enter data on a computer and may also require the ability to lift up to 10 pounds.
Manufacturing / Non-Sedentary Requirements
Incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of the job. Work may be performed in an office or warehouse environment. Typically requires the ability to spend 66%+ hours each work day doing the following activities: stand for extended periods of time, walk, bend, stoop, or climb. May have possible exposure to dust, and may require the ability to lift and/or push up to 50 pounds 33% - 66% of the time.
Meggitt is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-855-474-7665 or HRISon@meggitt.com.
If this position is located in the United States, this job will require use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). As such, all applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee