OU Physicians is Oklahoma's largest physician group and encompasses almost every adult and child specialty.
POSITION INFORMATION: Under general supervision, may participate in any or all aspects of the patient processing and accounts receivable functions of the organization including billing, charge entry, collection, registration, scheduling, follow-up, coding, payment posting and credit balance resolution. May reconcile daily IDX system receivables reports. May balance monthly transactions and provide summaries to faculty and department administration.
- Patient Registration
- Review patient admitting records and extracts relevant information.
- Records patient identification and demographic information in the computerized billing system.
- Contacts agency representatives to verify type and extent of coverage.
- Works with all areas of the organization in getting any necessary or requested documentation for patients, insurance carriers or other areas.
- May interact with hospital patient accounting or records personnel to obtain patient demographic or other billing information.
- Operates hospital information system terminal to obtain patient demographic information, patient insurance information and status of approvals or denials.
- Assists in resolving department problems with billing.
- Maintains records of charges, payments, third party charges, etc.
- Answers patient's questions regarding statements, agency coverage, etc.
- Handles correspondence regarding collection activity and records results.
- May receive patient payments and/or issue payment receipts.
- Initiates contact with patients and/or third party carriers if there is a delay in responding to statements or claims.
- May process incoming and outgoing mail.
- May receive incoming telephone calls and resolve issues communicated.
- Records results of mail and telephone contacts on the computer billing system.
- Interfaces with patients, physicians, and others regarding professional billing operations and funds.
- Payment Posting
- Post receipts to proper patient accounts.
- Compare batch proofs and source documents for accuracy.
- May be responsible for the department's cash drawer.
- Assists in reviewing and balancing transaction reports for administration.
- Reconciles daily receivables reports.
- As Needed
- Performs various duties as needed in order to successfully fulfill the function of the position.
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures.
Education: High School diploma or GED
Experience: 24 months experience in Medical Billing, Medical Collections, Medical Billing Systems (IDX or other) and general office or computer data entry
Preferred: Background in customer service
- Able to use 10-key by touch with 7,000 ksp with 98% accuracy
- Able to type 45 wpm with 70% accuracy
- Basic Microsoft Excel and Word knowledge
- Medical billing knowledge
- Read EOB's (Explanations of Benefits)
- Analytical skills
- Organizational skills