Requisition Number: DIREC02556
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP, an international law firm, is actively recruiting a Director Government Affairs in Norfolk. This position lobbies and supports legislative activities on behalf of Global Economic Development, Commerce & Government Relations (GECON) clients.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
1. In coordination with Senior Director of Government Affairs, determines regulatory and legislative priorities that impact current and prospective clients of the Firm. Researches, analyzes and monitors Virginia state legislative activities and coordinates involvement of Firm lobbyists in legislative and regulatory matters.
2. Lobbies Virginia General Assembly, Executive Branch, and local governments on behalf of clients. Coordinates client activities with elected officials and their staff members when appropriate.
3. Formulates and participates in the implementation of legislative and regulatory strategies for clients.
4. Attends House and Senate Committee meetings as needed. Identifies and monitors legislation of interest to clients. Advises Firm lobbyists and lawyers with regard to legislative initiatives and activities of interest to our clients.
5. Independently communicates with clients to advise them of the status of pending legislation and to consult with them on the impact of pending and proposed legislative initiatives.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Business, Public Administration, English, History or related field or commensurate with experience required. Masters of Business Administration or Law degree preferred.
Experience: A minimum of ten (10) years of experience in local/state government, a government relations position, or equivalent private sector experience in managing complex public relations, government relations, or economic development projects. Ability to write and summarize governmental documents and draft bill and budget language. Management experience in economic development practice and implementation, including business attraction, expansion, and retention services, and work with private and public sector entities preferably in a local, state or regional organization, a law firm, professional services, or other client relationship-based organization preferred. Familiarity with the marketing approaches of a professional organization.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Frequent travel may be required. Ability to manage in an environment of multiple priorities and possess solid skills in managing multiple projects of varying complexities and reporting status. Excellent communication (both oral and written) and organizational skills; ability to give presentations to varied audiences and offer testimony to General Assembly committees and subcommittee. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent must possess the abilities or aptitudes to proficiently perform each of the responsibilities and accountabilities described above. Examples include: ability to work well under pressure, patience, diplomacy, high stress tolerance, excellent interpersonal communication skills, ability to prioritize workload and adapt to changing conditions. Ability to receive and convey detailed information through oral communication. Essential competency processes include language ability, reasoning and memory. Must be able to work varied hours, including evenings and weekends.
EEO/drug-free workplace/E-Verify participant/Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by the OFCCP here.
The information offered on this site does not constitute an express or implied contract, and may be modified or revoked without notice at the discretion of Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP.