The City of Norfolk's Department of Recreation, Parks and Open Space is seeking an experienced and motivated Accounting Technician II. The Accounting Technician II will be responsible for performing financial, administrative and customer service duties. The incumbent will be responsible for entering purchases, bills and pay documents into the City's financial system, compiling and filing reports, and assisting customer and employees.
Departmental Hiring Salary: $29,391
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Processes financial records including purchase orders, requisitions, contract payments and vendor invoices.
- Accurately inputs data in the City's financial system (AFMS) according to policy and best practices.
- Prepares journal vouchers and other financial documents, such as invoices and cash receipts.
- Ensures the department is compliant with regulations pertaining to procurement and contract administration.
- Monitors and tracks revenue received via cash receipt.
- Processes monthly Bank of America credit card statements and related paperwork.
- Manages the shared inbox and responds to emails in a timely fashion.
- Inputs cemetery data into cemetery database.
- Creates, updates and disseminates monthly reports as assigned.
- Provides back up functions to Parks and Forestry as well as Cemeteries within their Business Services division as needed.
- Serves on special projects and committees as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature which may be obtained with six months/one year of advanced study or training past the high school equivalency. Junior college, vocational, business, technical or correspondence schools are likely sources. Appropriate certification may be awarded upon satisfactory completion of advanced study or training.
Two years experience in bookkeeping or accounting.
The preferred candidate will possess:
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage small projects efficiently.
- A Bachelor's Degree.
- Academic coursework in Accounting and Public Relations.
- Proficient computer skills, including use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- A Valid Driver's License.
Additional Information & Requirements
Work Location: 220 Boush Street, Norfolk, Virginia 23510
Work Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm