FOR SURGICAL PATHOLOGY
- Transports surgical specimens from the operating room, minor procedure room, and adult GI unit.
- Sorts and prioritizes specimens according to protocol.
- Assigns accession number to each case and maintains patient identification and specimen integrity throughout the process.
- Assists Pathologists' Assistant and/or Pathologist by maintaining pathology worksheet, including margins, section codes, special stains, type of specimen, etc.
- Labels cassettes, according to protocol, using automated cassette labeler and/or manually.
- Researches pertinent clinical information for specific cases, as requested by pathologist or pathology assistant.
- Assists pathologist in frozen section room, by performing rapid staining on frozen section and/or touch prep slides.
- Organizes and discards surgical specimens according to policy.
- Maintains grossing area and frozen section room, including preparing solutions, in a clean and orderly manner.
- Maintains inventory of all supplies.
- Cross trains in other roles as needed.
- Operates and maintains the tissue processors.
- Operates automated stainer.
- Operates the automated coverslipper.
- Matches paperwork to slides and passes slides to assigned pathologist, according to protocol.
- Maintains slide files and surgical block files.
- Answers the telephone and interacts with clients to answer questions and resolve issues.
- Registers patients in the Epic registration system adhering to current procedures including strict patient identification standards.
- Orders tests in the Anatomic Pathology information system.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Follows all established departmental and laboratory policies, procedures, and protocols when performing all tasks.
- Attention to detail and accuracy accompanied by flexibility to adapt to varying workloads must be applied each day.
- Each problem is to be resolved in a professional and timely manner.
- Any problem that cannot be resolved must be escalated to the next level (e.g. lead, technical specialist) for assistance.
- Performs all duties in a consistently professional manner.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills, especially when resolving problems and/or issues.
- Efficiently and effectively handles the workload and adapts pace to accommodate increases or decreases in volume.
- Maintains specimen identification and integrity throughout all processes.
- Reports any and all problems with specimen submission by using LISET and/or the Safety Reporting System.
- Attends departmental, laboratory, and hospital meetings.
- Completes all training, both in-person and on-line, in a timely manner.
- Contributes to positive culture and team-oriented environment.
The qualified candidate will perform the essential requirements in at least one of the three areas listed above.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
High school diploma or equivalent, strong organizational skills, strong interpersonal skills, attention to detail, ability to solve problems, computer skills, and customer service skills are required. Prior laboratory experience preferred.