External Job Description
Newport News Shipbuilding is offering summer internships which allow students to gain experience in craftsman positions and provide the opportunity to possibly gain future full time employment. Most waterfront positions may require the ability to physically access a wide variety of work sites, including those aboard ships under various stages of construction or overhaul, including the use of vertical and inclined ladders, and may involve limited kneeling, stooping, standing, etc. The recruitment and selection is based on bona fide business-related requirements and is done without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age or disability.All applicants must ensure the information below has been provided when applying for the summer internship program. Applicants may be disqualified if all information requested has not been provided• School Name
• Program name
• Anticipated Completion/Graduation Date
• Current Academic Level
• Overall GPA - 4.0 scale
• List of relatives (if applicable) employed at Newport News Shipbuilding
- Be at least 18 years of age before the start of the summer intern program (Mid-May) and a US Citizen.
- Be enrolled in an Associate degree OR equivalent program that supports the company's shipyard industry (Electrician, Machinist, Metal Fabrication, Welder, Fitter, Rigger, Pipefitter, Coating). Typically in the following areas:
• Electronics/Electrical Technology• Machining Technology• Welding Technology
• Building Construction
• Industrial Technology
• Heavy Equipment
• Collision Repair/Refinishing
• Manufacturing Technology
- Currently attending a 2 year community college or trade school pursing an Associate degree or Certification.
- Should have already completed 1 year of the program and have a pending graduation/completion date of Spring 2021.
5. Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (Official transcripts will be required).
- Attend the community college or trade school full-time in the fall following the internship.
- Successfully complete a criminal background investigation, physical agilities test, physical and a hair follicle drug screen.
- Work a 40-hour work week for a minimum of 10 weeks during the summer. Monday June 1, 2020 through Friday Aug 14, 2020
- Work a 1st shift (7:00-3:30pm) or 2nd shift (3:30pm-12:00am).