External Job Description
This Project Engineering position requires engineering skills to execute the planning, design, construction of heavy industrial and nuclear facilities, dry docks, piers and heavy waterfront and industrial projects. Position provides high level estimating, planning, design, and construction support for projects. Responsible for project concept design, drawing development and approval of complex design criteria, calculations and final drawing issue for construction. Position also requires surveillance of contracted design firms and contracted construction work. Position also provides technical work instructions, commissioning and construction checklists, and turnover of assigned project work. Performs quality control and quality inspection of design engineering and contracted work. Position also requires coordination of multiple technical functions including structural, geotechnical, mechanical, civil, industrial engineering disciplines and NNS Maintenance and Operations Department.
Additional areas of responsibility include and are not limited to:
- Reviews and estimates design costs including equipment, installation, labor, materials, preparation, and other related costs. Inspects or directs the inspection of construction and installation progress to ensure conformance to established drawings, specifications, and schedules.
- Responsibilities will include directing work assignments of engineering service providers and contractors to design and construct shipyard facilities in a safe manner for production use.
- Strong project management, communication, organizational and computer skills are essential.
- Ability to work independently and be a part of cross-functional teams in accomplishment of complex tasks is required.
- Ability to address technical, quality and business aspects of a project is essential.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks on schedule and within budget is a must.
Plans, designs and oversees the reconfiguration, maintenance, and alteration of equipment, machinery, buildings, structures, and other facilities. Gathers and reviews data concerning facility or equipment specifications, company or government restrictions, required completion date, and construction feasibility. Coordinates with architecture/engineering firms in developing design criteria and preparing layout and detail drawings. Prepares bid sheets and contracts for construction and facilities acquisition. Reviews and estimates design costs including equipment, installation, labor, materials, preparation, and other related costs. Inspects or directs the inspection of construction and installation progress to ensure conformance to established drawings, specifications, and schedules.
0 Years with Bachelors in Science. Newport News Shipbuilding requires a Bachelor's Degree in engineering from an ABET accredited program.
Experience desired in piping, HVAC and structural design.
- Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) is preferred
- Familiarity with International Building Codes (IBC), National Engineering Codes, and OSHA regulations preferred.