Under the direction of the Site Supervisor or Site Manager, the Medical Assistant and Lead for the Hoag Medical Group - HMTS performs a variety of back office and clerical duties in support of the patient care activities, ensuring even patient flow and continuous communication within HMG-HMTS, referring physician offices, and Organizational staff. The Medical Assistant and Lead displays and practices a work-style that reflects the mission, vision and values of the Hoag Medical Foundation as well as Hoag Hospital. Participates in the continuous quality improvement process. Maintains a working knowledge of departmental standard operating procedures, including the use of specialized instrumentation, Quality Control requirements, and preventive maintenance.
- Greets and assists multiple patients, ensuring the promptness of their service:
- Utilizes positive verbal tone while speaking with patients/customers in person or on the telephone.
- Answers telephones, schedules appointments, and handles front-office responsibilities as needed.
- Under the guidance of the Site Supervisor or Site Manager the Medical Assistant will:
- Escorts patients to the exam room.
- Assists the RN by collecting recording and reporting patient specific data that includes: TPR, BP, RR and HR o Collects and handles lab specimens as directed, according to protocol.
- Clarifies all directions so patient care is completed without delay or confusion.
- Promptly reports unusual observations or changes in patient condition/behavior.
- Assists physician with examinations and procedures and carries out orders as directed.
- Ensures patient care is delivered and the unit is maintained in accordance with professional regulatory standards.
- Coordinates patient flow and ensures care in a timely manner.
- Completes unit tasks such as cleaning exam areas, cleaning exam tables, instruments, emptying trash, and running errands.
- Restocks supplies in each treatment room, maintaining an appropriate par level. Notifies appropriate staff member when supplies are needed to be ordered.
- Prioritizes workload and completes all assignments in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate population as outlined in the job description and competencies.
- Position may require local travel between various Organization locations. (Mileage compensation will be provided)
- Position may require participating in meetings outside of normal business hours including occasional evenings and/or weekends. (Compensation will be awarded per hours worked according to the wage and hour laws).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Graduate of Medical Assistant program or equivalent work experience
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in healthcare-related field
- Minimum one (1) year previous medical back-office experience, preferably within an acute healthcare system environment
Skills or Other Qualifications
- Excellent communication skills; customer focused; excellent attention to detail; able to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines; strong interpersonal skills; able to work in a team environment.
- Basic keyboarding skills at 35 WPM.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Proven ability to interface with all customer levels (physicians, Organizational staff, insurance companies, patients and family members).
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology
- Qualified bilingual or multilingual candidates
License and Certifications
- BLS certification
- A Certified Medical Assistant or a valid current Limited Phlebotomy Certification.