Covanta is a world leader in providing sustainable waste and energy solutions. Annually, Covanta's modern Energy-from-Waste facilities safely convert approximately 20 million tons of waste from municipalities and businesses into clean, renewable electricity to power one million homes and recycle approximately 500,000 tons of metal. Through a vast network of treatment and recycling facilities, Covanta also provides comprehensive industrial material management services to companies seeking solutions to some of today's most complex environmental challenges. For more information, visit www.covanta.com .
Information on our facilities is available at www.covanta.com/Covanta-Map . For career opportunities, visit www.covanta.com/Careers . Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
pdf) Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Based at our Essex facility in Newark, NJ, the Operations Supervisor will work under the Operations Manager and manage the plant operational responsibilities and requirements at Covanta Essex Energy from Waste (EFW) facility, that includes but are not limited to the following activities:
- Effectively organize daily activities and oversee proper and efficient daily work of all operations personnel.
- Provide guidance and over-site to keep boiler and turbine performance at maximum levels.
- Manage and implement established operator and technical training programs.
- Manage daily schedules and occasionally fill in for Shift Supervisor coverage as needed.
- Ensure the plant's readiness to meet unusual situations and safe/efficient day-to-day operations.
- Proficiently inspect boilers and machinery and meet plant performance targets.
- Oversee or compile various reports at the plant and corporate levels.
- Adhere to environmental, health, and safety procedures and permit requirements.
To be considered for this position, you must have a broad background in plant operations, a minimum of 5 years of progressive experience working in or supporting an industrial power generating facility.
General knowledge and/or experience in industrial safety is required, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional essential requirements of the position include:
- Minimum education of a High School Diploma or GED – Bachelor of Science preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years hands-on experience in a Power Plant environment, including 3 years as a supervisor.
- Maintenance experience with rotating and electrical generation (turbine generator) equipment.
- Knowledge of mass burn combustion practices.
- Knowledge of boiler water and cooling tower treatment programs.
- Interpersonal, verbal and written communications and organizational skills.
- Off-hours work supporting shifts may be required.
- The ASME, QRO/CFO Certification is desirable, or must be able to qualify for this certification within six months of employment.
- Proficiency with MS Office products (Word/Excel/Outlook/Powerpoint).
- Familiarity with CMMS (Maximo, Peoplesoft Asset Life Management, GPMate) is ideal
Additionally, the qualified incumbent must have:
- Ability to tolerate moderate extremes in hot/cold, confined spaces, climbing stairs, and ladders.
- Ability to tolerate frequent standing, walking, crouching, crawling and kneeling as well as the ability to wear a full-face air-purifying respirator
Covanta offers competitive pay and benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Company Match Savings Plan, Vacation and Holiday pay.
Click here to learn more about our EfW process: Energy-from-Waste Facility Virtual Tour
(Internal Tracking Code *LI-COV)