3D Tech Artist, Imaging Technology
The 3D Imaging team is looking for a proficient 3D Technical Artist who can understand technical problems the artist team may face from an artistic perspective and provide creative technical solutions by working directly with all levels of 3D artists and programmers. We are a multi-disciplinary team that blends deep knowledge of the 3D art creation process and general software development to build customer-focused solutions to problems.
This role is for if you want to be a part of:
- Helping to grow one of the largest content libraries on the planet
- Driving the success and adoption of emerging 3D experiences across Amazon
- Partnering with world-class artists and scientists to drive innovation in 3D content creation
Key job responsibilities
We are looking for a 3D Tech Artist who can deliver pragmatic, service-oriented solutions to the technical problems that our art team faces. The right person will bring an implicit understanding of the balance needed between artistry, communication, and partnership—help scale 3D content creation within Amazon by enabling our artists to work smarter, not harder.
3D Technical Artists in this role will:
- Act as a bridge between art and engineering disciplines to solve multi-disciplinary problems
- Seek out and develop solutions to resolve workflow bottlenecks or asset quality issues through standardization and automation
- Collaborate with other tech artists and engineers to build and maintain a centralized suite of artist tools
- Work with art leadership to research and implement the latest industry trends that expand our production capabilities.
- Advise on the creation and maintenance of asset pipelines for partner teams looking to adopt 3D content
A day in the life
as a 3D Tech Artist will include but is not limited to coding and development of tools, workflows, and automation to improve the artist's experience and increase productivity. An ideal candidate is observant, creative, curious, and empathetic. They believe that there is never just one approach to solve a given problem.
* 5+ years working in a computer-graphics related field (VFX, Games, Film, Motion Graphics) in a similar role (Tech Artist, Pipeline TD, Pipeline Engineer, Art Tools Engineer)
* Deep understanding of content creation and delivery process
* Proficiency in Python programming language
* Experience building and maintaining internal pipelines and toolsets, including user documentation and education
* Experience designing and building artist tools that extend DCC software packages
* Experience developing GUI applications with PyQt/PySide2 framework
* Understanding of current generation of real-time and offline rendering and shader techniques
- Broad knowledge of Maya, Blender, Houdini, and Adobe Substance Suite
- Experience with VRay, Unreal, Unity, or equivalent renderers
- Interest or experience with e-commerce rendering trends (WebGL, glTF)
- Experience with C++/C#/Java
- Experience with render farms, distributed rendering, and cloud architecture
- Experience extending creative project management tools (Jira, Shotgun, ftrack)
- Experience working with global outsourcing and contract-based content creation teams
- Ability to analyze and optimize assets for real-time rendering
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Workers in New York City who perform in-person work or interact with the public in the course of business must show proof they have been fully vaccinated against COVID or request and receive approval for a reasonable accommodation, including medical or religious accommodation.