The Technical Program Management Director is responsible for the successful delivery of Scholastic's Digital Education Engineering roadmap. This means all projects under the program are delivered on schedule, within the allocated budget, and with high quality. This is the lead program management position and is responsible for working across all program teams and associated business teams to ensure that successful program delivery occurs. This position is the leader for approximately 5 to 6 programs, with a team of 80+, and an overall budget in excess of $7M.
This role is also responsible for leading a team of technical leads. The director will recruit and develop a top-notch team of strong engineers, project managers, and technical leads. The director will establish and drive program management policy, process, and metrics that project managers will use to govern individual programs. The director will ensure that there is a high degree of collaboration and dependency management across programs so that milestones and budgets can be identified and constructed. The director will maintain early warning systems and intervene and escalate issues in any project that is heading off course. The director will lead and run a periodic program review process to drive transparency and accountability across the organization.
As process leader for the organization, the director will champion, measure, and drive compliance with STS's delivery methodology, engineering practices, and quality standards. The director will serve as the lead program management champion for the program and make sure adequate training, coaching, and development is available to the team. The director is also responsible for ensuring that systems integrators for projects follow corporate policies and standards for delivering successful implementations.
The director will be responsible for the financial health of the program which includes managing the budget, working with teams within and outside Digital Education Engineering to secure funding as needed, and building and tracking any business cases associated with the program. This person will work very closely with the Executive Director of Digital Education Engineering and will provide the support to realize a successful program.
A team of 5 to 6 technical leads will report to this person. This is a challenging role with many touchpoints with senior executive management in both the technology organization and business units at Scholastic. The position requires an individual with strong communication skills, a driver of action, attention to details, and team motivation skills.
- Drive new products and features through the development process.
- Responsible primarily for the delivery of the Digital Education Engineering roadmaps and commitments.
- Owns the roadmap and coordinates inputs from key stakeholders to influence the roadmap.
- Responsible for on-time, on-budget delivery of high-quality products.
- Review and test code to ensure it works properly.
- Provide technical leadership.
- Owns and enforces consistency and best practices in management execution across the portfolio of projects.
- Standardizes processes for managing schedule, scope, risks, and dependencies
- Interfaces with lines of businesses to ensure expectations are met and quality of delivery is smooth and efficient.
- Maintains accountability for the overall health of the program across financial, best practices, quality, and delivery spectrums.
- Grows technical leads and project managers in accordance with the company career model framework. Staffs programs effectively as needs arise.
- Responsible for supporting organizational initiatives as part of overall continuous improvement for the technology organization.
- Provides senior level executive communications on status of programs and key risks/mitigation plans.
- Resolves issues and blockers for the program and escalates to the Executive Director of Digital Education Engineering as needed.
- Builds, owns, and monitors the business case for the program.
- Works with dependent programs to secure funding for resourcing and project needs.
- Motivates the team and builds a positive team environment.
Qualifications / Skills
- 12+ years of technical project management experience on leading technology products and platforms.
- 7+ years of hands-on software engineering experience
- Proficient in all 3 pillars of TPM: Technology, Program Management, and Product Management. Should be technically proficient to be an ambassador for Engineering.
- Expert experience in Program Management concepts and strategy
- Experience with managing scope, schedule, resources and budgets for multiple projects
- Experience working with multiple business groups to balance expectations
- Experience with risk management and tracking project deliverables
- Knowledge of technical software development and quality engineering concepts
- Knowledge of Java, REACT, Angular JS (preferred)
- Experience of leading product design
- A track record of successfully delivering programs in a large matrixed organization
- Financial and budgetary skills