SSAT / SHSAT Tutor - Harlem, NY
Position: Test Prep Tutor
Location: 321 East 111th St. New York, NY 10029
Salary Range: $35.00 per hour
Hours: 4-20 hours per week
Employment Type: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Founded in 1876, The Boys’ Club of New York (BCNY) is a youth development organization with the mission to empower boys and young men, ages 7 to 21, by providing effective programs and a supportive community. BCNY provides evidence-based programs to address the evolving social, emotional, health, creative, educational, and vocational needs of our members in meaningful, lasting ways. BCNY develops programs to cultivate positive qualities in members and strives to continually deepen and broaden our impact.
Under the direction of the Director of High School Access, the Test Prep Tutor will provide individual and/or small-group tutoring to boys 10 - 14 years old. Tutors will be strongly supported by the Director of High School Access and are responsible for planning their own lessons and finding materials. He/she will work with members to prepare them for the core high school admissions exams including but not limited to, the SSAT, SHSAT, and TACHS. We are seeking a reliable, highly motivated candidate with a strong record of working with middle school students and young people.
Frontline employees are not required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, however, BCNY strongly encourages all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and obtain a booster shot.
- Plan, organize, and implement appropriate programs and lesson plans to enhance skill development of participants and prepare them for specialized high school admissions tests
- Work regularly with the Director of High School Access and other relevant staff to assess the needs of individual students and adapt lessons to meet those needs
- Observe and track member progress and attendance
- Reinforce positive student behavior and clubhouse rules; maintain a positive relationship with all members, families and staff
- Write, implement and adapt a curriculum and training methods that meets participants’ interests
- Other duties as assigned
- Attend required department meetings and professional development trainings
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree with a focus in a relevant field
- At least 2 years of experience as a Writing, Reading, and/or English Tutor or classroom teacher
- Experience working with students from 6-18 years old
- Knowledge of NYC school standards preferred
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and to address the varying needs of the boys
What We Offer
- PTO: Sick time only
The Boys’ Club of New York is an equal opportunity employer
and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law. If you have a disability or other protected need requiring an accommodation, please contact Human Resources.