Software Development Manager - Sponsored Advertising
Calling all inventors to work on an exciting new opportunity as the founding team member for a team that is reimagining Sponsored Advertising beyond the retail store.
If you are looking to make an impact in a new product area, this is the team for you. You will not only have the satisfaction of seeing your work directly on the Amazon website and beyond where it will be viewed by tens of millions of customers and drive quantifiable revenue impact, but will also have the opportunity to help shape our engineering and product roadmaps. We are not bound by legacy systems and have a broad mandate to experiment, which gives us great flexibility as we design and develop our services. You will have an opportunity to contribute across the full stack and including novel Machine Learning opportunities. Most importantly, you will have an opportunity to grow and broaden your technical skills as you work in an environment that thrives on creativity, experimentation, and product innovation.
Amazon is investing heavily in building a world-class advertising business. We are defining and delivering a collection of self-service performance advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our products are strategically important to our Retail and Marketplace businesses driving long-term growth. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and are breaking fresh ground to create world-class products to improve both shopper and advertiser experience. We are a highly motivated, collaborative, and fun-loving team with a strong entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we grow at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
We are looking for a seasoned engineering manager who loves to tackle ambiguous problems to deliver a tailored advertising experience to local business advertisers. This is a high-impact role that requires technical depth, analytical rigor, strategic vision and big-picture thinking, as well as sharp execution and excellent communication. In this role, you will have opportunities to work with advanced deep-learning models, large-scale machine-learning pipelines, and real-time serving infra to match shoppers’ intent to relevant ads on all devices, for all contexts and in worldwide marketplaces. Through the deep understanding of customers’ intent and interests, precise estimations of their interactions with ads and long-term value, we help customers discover new local services they love, be the most efficient way for local advertisers to meet their objectives, and to build a major, sustainable business that helps Amazon continuously innovate on behalf of all customers. Our engineers work hand-in-hand with applied scientists and product managers both within the team and across various retail partner orgs in Amazon to keep the retail experience relentlessly high.
As an Engineering Manager, you will work closely with business stakeholders, engineers, scientists and product managers to:
· Chart and execute a course for delivering tailored advertising experience for local business advertisers, a new area of strategic focus.
· Obsess over your customers and work backwards to define tenets, customer experiences, long-term goals, focus areas and key success metrics.
· Lead a stellar team of engineers to deliver end-to-end solutions to production to support various business initiatives.
· Drive efficient planning and execution of new initiatives, including collaboration with scientists, product managers and partner teams
· Advance team's engineering craftsmanship and operational excellence and drive continued technical innovation as a thought leader and practitioner.
· Influence senior leaders across Amazon by proactively communicating your vision, reporting plans and progress, and aligning with Amazon's core leadership principles
· Hire and develop top talent, provide technical and career development guidance to engineers in the organization. Joining the team, you’ll experience the benefits of working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, while leveraging the resources of Amazon.com, one of the world's leading Internet companies.
· 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
· Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
· 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
· 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
· MS or PhD in Computer Science, Information Retrieval, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Statistics, Mathematics, or related discipline
· At least 10 years of experience in managing a team of applied scientists and/or engineers as a tech lead or manager
· At least 10 years experience in building large-scale machine learning and AI solutions at Internet scale
· At least 10 years of experience with, at least, one model programming language such as Java, Python, Scala, C++
· Proven track record of taking ownership and successfully delivering results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
· Proven track record of complex and creative problem-solving, and the desire to create and build new businesses
· Experience with Big Data technologies such as AWS, Spark, Scala and ultra low-latency & high throughput serving systems
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive actions - Experience with online advertising, search, recommendation, personalization, or e-commerce
· Outstanding oral and written communication
· Ability to work well with a variety of people ranging in various technical levels