SNL Basketball Coach -- Harlem, NY
Position: Saturday Night Lights Basketball Coach
Location: 321 East 111th St. New York, NY 10029
Salary Range: $20 per hour
Hours: 10 hours per week
Employment Type: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Founded in 1876, The Boys’ Club of New York (BCNY) is a youth development organization with the mission to empower boys and young men, ages 7 to 21, by providing effective programs and a supportive community. BCNY provides evidence-based programs to address the evolving social, emotional, health, creative, educational, and vocational needs of our members in meaningful, lasting ways. BCNY develops programs to cultivate positive qualities in members and strives to continually deepen and broaden our impact.
We are a COVID-19 proactive organization who makes every effort to create and maintain an environment that is safe for our members and staff. Saturday Night Lights (SNL) is a youth violence prevention and youth-development program funded by the New York County District Attorney’s Office (DANY). While SNL focuses on Basketball and fitness activities, programming likewise integrates supplementary social services to more holistically help young people reduce violence and criminal justice involvement and increase engagement in prosocial activities. Through teaching the sport of basketball, coaches will reinforce life skills such as teamwork, cooperation, sportsmanship, and communication. In addition, once coaches have taught their students basketball concepts and rules of the game, they have the opportunity to have them participate in games, scrimmages and tournaments to compete against other clubhouses and community-based organizations.
Frontline employees are not required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, however, BCNY strongly encourages all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and obtain a booster shot.
- Support workouts for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and practice that provides students with opportunities to observe, investigate, and practice skills
- Review instructional content, methods, and student performance in order to assess strengths and weaknesses, and develop recommendations for curriculum revision, development, or elimination
- Use behavior management strategies to defuse inappropriate behavior
- Attend required department meetings and professional development trainings
- Other duties as assigned
- Previous experience as a Basketball Instructor/Coach with youth required
- Passion for health and wellness and familiarity with technique and safety
- High School diploma or GED required
- Previous successful experience working with or caring for children
- Demonstrated ability to be a positive role model for children and other staff
- Demonstrated leadership ability in educational, social service and/or youth development settings
- First Aid and CPR Certification desirable
What We Offer
- PTO: Sick time only
The Boys’ Club of New York is an equal opportunity employer
and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law. If you have a disability or other protected need requiring an accommodation, please contact Human Resources.