SVP- Technical Acctg & Financ Compliance
1 month ago(9/4/2019 5:33 PM)
Company Employee Full-Time
The key objectives of the role are to provide leadership and direction to Discovery regarding enterprise-wide accounting for strategic initiatives and enterprise-wide accounting policies as well as financial compliance and internal controls.
This position is also responsible for partnering in the review and consideration of deals and transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, that are required to have a review of technical accounting under US GAAP, and contract compliance issues, as well as coordinating activities with other finance departments including Treasury, FP&A, business development, internal audit, operations finance, and assisting with the detail review of documentation of new contractual arrangements. This role leads the team in performing research and evaluating the impact of proposed complex transactions that have a significant impact on the financial statements. This role coordinates the accounting analysis of potential impacts of new contractual arrangements and has significant influence on the ultimate structures. This role activley engages members of other departments to understand current and on-going contract negotiations to understand key terms and accounting implications. This role represents finance on acquisition due diligence and is responsible for the accounting policy aspects of onboarding and integration of acquisitions.
This role ensures the proper accounting for areas that are highly technical and judgmental and where specialized guidance is applicable: acquisition; goodwill and intangible impairment analysis; divestitures; investments and joint ventures; real estate; variable interest entities; hedging, etc. This role provides timely US GAAP guidance for all research related questions. This role is the main face with external auditors of highly technical accounting areas.
This role is responsible for establishing and implementing enterprise-wide accounting policies, practices and procedures to ensure that Discovery financial reports are timely, accurate and compliant with GAAP. It drives relevant and timely training to the accounting organization. This role provides guidance on policies and procedures that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the enterprise-wide finance team.
This role leads the team to evaluate new accounting pronouncements and writes Company comment letters to the FASB, where needed, and leads the global implementation of new accounting pronouncements.
This role is responsible for the enterprise-wide compliance with financial internal controls to ensure an effective control environment and implementation of any SOX compliance requirements including advising the business on design of controls and the remediation of control deficiencies when applicable.
This role interacts regularly with Discovery senior management and professional service providers. This role is a partner to Business Development, Treasury, FP&A, Real Estate, Operations Finance, Internal Audit and other functions. This role also has Board of Directors visibility on highly complex transactions.
1. Performs analytical and technical accounting research on proposed international and domestic transactions
2. Leads the technical accounting aspects of the company’s acquisition and disposition of business development, legal, treasury, FP&A, and outside advisors
3. Coordinates the accounting analysis of potential impacts of new contractual arrangements.
4. Actively engages members of other departments (Business Development, Treasury, Legal, Finance) to understand current and on-going contract negotiations to understand key terms and accounting implications
5. Provides timely US GAAP guidance for all research related questions
6. Works with external auditors to provide requested documentation regarding significant new transactions
7. Documents the Company’s global accounting policies and procedures in conformance with US GAAP and creates work plans to assist in implementing change and process documentation to support the compliance of these policies
8. Leads the team in evaluating new accounting pronouncements and writes Company comment letters to the FASB, as needed, and leads the implementation of any new accounting pronouncement
9. Develops relationships with business leaders and corporate functional leaders
10. Leads the financial compliance efforts of the Company to ensure effective control environment and implementation of any SOX compliance requirements
11. Oversee accounting staff of 10, including 2 direct reports; trains and assess team performance
* BS in Accounting; MBA a plus
* Minimum of 15-20 years of public accounting and/or large corporation experience.
* CPA required
* Experience in Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and International Accounting Standards (IFRS).
* Ability to communicate complicated and judgmental technical accounting issues to business partners who are at times non-accountants
* Experience in designing accounting policies and related controls and training the business in these areas
* Attention to detail and accuracy as well as strong organizational skills
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Proven ability to build confidence and trust with internal and external constituencies and provide excellent customer service
* Demonstrated ability to contribute to a culture of excellence, integrity and accountability
* Strong project management skills, with the ability to proactively manage a variety of projects and timelines; demonstrate initiative, resourcefulness, and an ability to manage multiple assignments and deliverables.
* Experience with MS Office products
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Knoxville, Tennessee, KX, TN
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to HR@discovery.com.