The Senior Vice President, Communications and Public Affairs will support the work of the EVP, Communications, Public Affairs and Policy, in setting the League’s strategic direction and aligning its communications programs to advance the sport in support of its clubs, players, fans and communities. The successful candidate will oversee the development and day-to-day management of NFL Communications, and will execute media and communication strategies, consistent with measurable outcomes.
- Advance strategic League initiatives through communications plans to advance key League priorities.
- Identify issues and reputational threats to the League and the 32 clubs and develop strategies and plans to mitigate their impact.
- Using data and analytics, advance specific organizational objectives with key outside constituencies: fans, media, League partners and sponsors.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with key press and influencers.
- Utilize both traditional and social media to advance League initiatives and communications goals.
- Coordinate with executives across departments and the League to ensure consistency of messaging, strategy and to elevate their success stories.
- Demonstrate appropriate leadership behaviors that inspire confidence in others, including coaching, mentoring and enhancing the professional development of others.
- Drive internal communications initiatives across the organization.
- Support senior executives on all communications matters throughout the organization and support their individual participation in addressing those topics.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in communications or journalism. An M.B.A. or other advanced degree is highly desirable.
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience in corporate communications or public affairs, with significant experience in media, sports and/or entertainment
- Experience working with high profile brands and with or as part of an executive leadership team
- Demonstrated success in managing complex challenges with broad scope and scale
- Ability to manage a large team and the ability to collaborate across an organization
- Strategic thinker with exceptional communication (oral and writing) skills
- Proven success in creating and executing high profile communication initiatives.
Other Key Attributes / Characteristics:
The ideal candidate will display:
- Ability to help shape the narrative for a dynamic, evolving organization
- A track record of rolling out creative and innovative communications campaigns
- Ability to work cross-functionally across different company divisions and with outside partners
- Proven leadership; the ability to persuade, inspire, and mobilize teams
- Proven ability to work in a high-pressure, fast-paced, team environment
- Good time management, ability to prioritize and delegate
- Ability to make cost-effective use of resources and problem-solve quickly and imaginatively
- High political sensitivity both internally and externally
- High energy
- High integrity
- A passion for football and its cultural influence