Senior Software Engineer, Personalization, Backend
Take Earth's most customer-centric company. Mix in hundreds of millions of shoppers spending tens of billions of dollars annually, an exciting opportunity to build next-generation shopping experiences, Amazon’s tremendous computational resources, and our extensive e-Commerce experience. What do you get? The most exciting position in the industry.
About our team:
Our team enables innovation on behalf of our customers by making it easy to get the right content in front of the right customers at the right time. We build services that utilize a deep understanding of the customer, context, and content, to decide what to show on every page on Amazon. Our primary backend service returns dynamic content generated at runtime that is ranked by machine learning models. This unique architecture enables hundreds of teams across Amazon to launch new personalization experiments and have massive impact on millions of customers worldwide.
About our organization:
Our team is part of Amazon’s Personalization organization, a high-performing group that leverages Amazon’s expertise in machine learning, big data, distributed systems, and user experience design to deliver the best shopping experiences for our customers. We run global experiments and our work has revolutionized e-commerce with features such as “Customers who bought this item also bought”, “Frequently bought together”, and “Keep shopping for ...“. Amazon’s internal surveys regularly recognize us as one of the best engineering organizations to work for in the company, with visible high-impact work, low operational load, respectful work-life balance, and continual opportunity to learn and grow.
About the role:
As an engineer on the team, you will play a key role in designing, developing and building features on backend distributed services at scale. Since we are a central piece of the call stack for most pages at Amazon such as Homepage, Detail Page, and Search, you will be in a position to have massive impact on the company's resiliency, latency, and depth of personalization. You'll also have opportunities to work with the Personalization Tools team to drive self-service tool changes that enable new features for our internal customers.
· 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
· 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 4+ years of professional software development experience
· 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
· 8+ years of software development experience
· BS/MS in Computer Science or other engineering discipline
· Industry experience related to distributed computing and large scale services
· Strong product management skills, you naturally put yourself in your customer's shoes
· Highly motivated self-starter, you thrive with minimal oversight
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation