Senior Manager of Supply Chain, Indirect Procurement
Founded in 2015, Bowery Farming is on a mission to democratize access to high-quality, local, safe and sustainable produce. Bowery builds smart indoor farms near cities, growing fresher, pesticide-free Protected Produce with bold flavor in precisely controlled environments, 365 days a year. At the heart of each farm is the proprietary BoweryOS, which integrates software, hardware, sensors, AI, computer vision systems, machine learning models and robotics to orchestrate and automate the entirety of its operations. As a result, each farm creates far less waste and uses a fraction of the water and land compared to traditional agriculture.
At Bowery Farming, we are building the most agile supply chain in agriculture. As part of that mission, we are seeking a Sr Manager of Indirect Procurement to support our growth and expansion.
In this position, you will be responsible for leading and supporting our farm expansion through category strategy and sourcing activities. You would need demonstrated expertise in market supplier analysis and development, request for proposals (RFP) and contract negotiations, supplier relationship management, and a plus if you have experience with farming equipment, opening up new buildings, and construction. A strong candidate will have solid analytical and communication skills, great attention to detail, and the ability to adapt to new environments quickly. You will report to the Head of Supply Chain, Procurement & Logistics.
What You’ll Do:
- Partner with our build and launch stakeholders to align project timelines and deliverables
- Define the indirect procurement process at Bowery
- Develop and implement procurement strategies and processes that are innovative and cost-effective.
- Understand business requirements and timelines to initiate the sourcing process.
- Source and engage reliable suppliers and vendors. Build and maintain long-term relationships.
- Negotiate with suppliers and vendors to secure beneficial terms.
- Review existing contracts with suppliers and vendors to ensure on-going feasibility.
- Approve purchase orders and organize delivery of goods and services.
- Collaborate with the supply chain team and implement the procurement excellence program
- Identify strategic opportunities to improve Bowery’s supply chain sustainability that enable successful scaling into new farms and new product lines.
- Manage risk and budgeting
- Perform risk assessments on potential contracts and agreements.
- Effectively manage our budget and promote a culture of long-term savings
- Systems and Reporting:
- Oversee and manage the IT systems that manage RFPs, track shipments, inventory, and the supply of goods.
- Prepare procurement reports. Manage Procurement KPIs, including setting targets and proposing initiatives to address gaps.
- Take leadership in project teams across departments and sites.
Who You Are:
- Proven experience in procurement and project management
- Understanding of food safety and CPG basics
- In-depth knowledge of preparing and running RFPs, reviewing contracts, negotiating terms and invoicing.
- Experience using RFP/eAuctions, project management (PM) software and tools (ERP), including SmartSheets, MicrosoftDynamics, Oracle, and/or SAP.
- Communication, management and leadership skills.
- Highly organized and detail oriented - your analytical models are clean and clear, your meeting agendas are consistent and impactful, and your to-do list is prioritized
- Data driven and able to translate details into easily absorbed output, with intuition for what matters most in a complex situation and the courage to stick to your guns, or to admit when you’re wrong
- Collaborative teammate able to form trust and consistency based relationships with cross functional partners
- Strong verbal and written communicator with ability to drive understanding with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Procurement experience; Preferred prior experience in engineering and construction, project management.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize diverse tasks, to hit hard deadlines, and to know when to escalate issues that arise.
- Strong problem solving and reasoning skills.
- Experience and/or comfort working at an early stage company with rapidly evolving practices, tools, and strategies.
- High level of experience working in spreadsheet technologies like Excel, Google, Smart Sheets.
- Supplier management and communication skills
- Hands on experience with RFP/eAuction and ERP tools
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
Based in New York City, Bowery is the largest vertical farming company in the United States, serving major e-commerce platforms and more than 850 grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including Albertsons Companies (Safeway and Acme), Amazon Fresh, Giant Food, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers, with produce that's harvested year-round at peak freshness, delivered within days of harvest. Bowery has raised $472 million from leading investors, including Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andrés and David Barber of Blue Hill. For more information on Bowery and its products, please visit www.BoweryFarming.comPress kit: https://boweryfarming.com/press/