Sr Manager, Software Development, AWS Metering and Bill Compute
The Metering and Bill Compute team provides the services that calculate bills for every customer on the largest cloud provider in the world. Customers will not receive accurate, timely, and consolidated billing data without our services. Discounts would be manually applied, and there would be no way for customers to see updated billing data daily. We consume almost 3B usage records per second and generate bills 3x more frequently than our next most significant competitor to give customers near real-time billing data. Beyond our impact on our customers and business, this space is filled with complex challenges to deliver billing accuracy at scale while remaining cost-efficient. We help drive accuracy for our Service teams by tapping into our quadrillions of data and using big data technologies to identify pattern anomalies. We are re-architecting how we compute bills by moving to a distributed architecture to achieve scale as we expand to more regions and add more customers. And we tackle these complex challenges using cutting-edge technologies such as EMR, Spark, and EKS.
We are looking for a Senior Manager, Software Development, to lead the team in designing and building these systems and new initiatives.
You will help establish technical standards and drive the overall technical architecture and engineering practices. You will work on all aspects of software development while focusing on the most challenging problems. You will build high-quality, architecturally sound systems aligned with our business needs.
You will think big when designing and building the software, ensuring the software is evolving in the right long-term direction while bringing value to customers iteratively. You will coach, mentor, and guide the efforts of developers across multiple locations.
You will independently lead broad cross-organization efforts from the early stages through release. You will influence organization roadmap priorities, system owners, and technical direction. You will represent difficult trade-off decisions and solutions to the senior leadership to help them understand decisions and options. You will leverage your technical knowledge to drive technical trade-off decisions. You will identify when a technical solution requires additional technical guidance.
You will manage cross-functional and cross-organization communication to ensure all stakeholders are informed and needs are aligned. You will guide the technical direction and decisions to deliver a solution that meets Amazon's high standards for customer satisfaction, efficiency, stability, extensibility, simplicity, and operational excellence.
* Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or equivalent
* 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
* Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
* 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
* 5+ years of experience planning, designing, developing, and delivering consumer software
* 3+ years experience as a People Manager in a software development organization
* Hands-on experience with the design and development of highly scalable web services
* Knowledge of Operating Systems, such as Unix/Linux, Object Oriented Principles, Service Oriented Architecture, C++/Java
* Proven track record of delivering quantifiable results
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Master in Computer Science or a related field
* Deep hands-on technical expertise
* Project Management experience with agile development methodology
* Ability to take raw product requirements and create software architectures and designs to bring them to life.
* Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work successfully with teams across the organization, including Engineering, Program Management, Quality Assurance, and Senior Leadership
* Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions and opinions
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Workers in New York City who perform in-person work or interact with the public in the course of business must show proof they have been fully vaccinated against COVID or request and receive approval for a reasonable accommodation, including medical or religious accommodation.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $176,100/year in our lowest geographic market up to $342,300/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.