Jupiter helps communities and private enterprise worldwide better predict, plan for, and mitigate the impact of climate change—empowering them to be more resilient, agile, and effective in meeting the massive challenges climate change imposes.
We’re thought leaders in data, climate, and earth and ocean-system science; advanced technology; private business; and public policy. We offer climate risk modeling solutions that can save lives and mitigate the potentially catastrophic impacts inflicted by hurricanes, floods, heat waves, wildfires, drought, and other extreme weather events on homes, businesses, infrastructure, food and water supplies, and entire economies.
We seek new colleagues—data scientists, physical scientists, software engineers, business professionals, and more—who share our passion, commitment to excellence and innovation, and collaboration. Together, we can help make the world a safer place for our generation, and those who come after us.
This position is in a fast-growing company created to meet the global demand for local climate and weather information to protect and develop assets, and to manage risk in operations. You will work with physical scientists, data scientists, and software engineers to design and build data pipelines used in data-driven modeling and dynamic modeling of Earth-system components and their deficiencies. An exceptional scientific and engineering staff, with experience in environmental modeling, impacts, and machine learning compromise the team deploying models in an elastic computing environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand the scientific and analytics needs of the science and data science teams
- Architect and develop scalable, cloud-based systems for data ingest, storage, serving and processing
- Work with science, data science, and DevOps teams to coordinate scientific modeling and data science pipelines
- Design and implement procedures for data quality and data validation
- Provide mentoring for junior engineers and implement best practices across the organization
- Clearly communicate internal and external data trends to multiple stakeholders; research cutting-edge data engineering tools
- Travel Requirements : Minimal
- Minimum qualifications include:
- M.S. in computer science or related field; or BA/BS in computer science or related field and relevant experience
- Experience building and deploying data-intensive systems at scale
- Strong Python and programming skills
- Strong systems programming skills; experience with scripting languages, including Python
- Experience deploying systems with software engineering best practices
- Experience and hands-on with TDD and CI
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience working with parallel or distributed systems and/or one or more commercial cloud computing services
- Additional desirable skills:
- Experience with geophysical models and data
- Experience with statistical methods and machine learning algorithms
Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Please submit your Cover Letter and Resume to us to see if there might be a great fit.