What you'll be doing
You will be co-creating a customer obsessed culture, by never losing sight of customer value, business value and excellent usability. You will manage projects from conception to delivery and apply best design and usability principles to resolve complex business problems.
You will be collaborating with other Designers, Product Managers, Stakeholders across difference offices across different countries, jumping from projects to projects.
You will be part of a department of change agents, breaking down silos and fostering cross collaboration. There will be daily stand-ups, retrospective meetings, gathering of requirements, brainstorming, facilitating workshops.
You will lead the way of UX and CX Practice such as Experience Journeys, Usability test, leading Design Thinking & Ideation workshops. On occasion, you will chair meetings to gather requirements, progress reporting to Key Stakeholders, and do show and tell.
You will need to be generous with sharing knowledge with non-designer colleagues, brown bag lunches and writing blogs and articles on design leadership.
You are a leader in your own right by evangelising about the CX UX practice and getting Stakeholder buy-ins and your teams support. Dont worry, you will get a sense of psychological safety because your Management is fully supportive of calculated risk taking for the purpose of innovation. So feel free to experiment, create opportunities and foster a conducive environment for innovation in unchartered waters.
You will be part of a bigger design community within the organization. Where you will collaborate to explore ways to improve design processes (UX research, building design systems, developer hands-offs etc) and ways of working, defining a single source of truth.
You will feel a sense of achievement in the projects that you are part of because your design decisions will impact millions of people. The companys 236 year-old history is not built upon chance. It is built by people who are passionate about making positive changes and striving to become trusted stewards of the Global Markets.
Here's what your week might look like
We are already in Agile development, and you will be part of a sprint together with key stakeholders in an Agile environment. You need to conduct usability research or workshop with stakeholders to redefine the problem statement and creating MVPs, so you'll be doing a fair amount of planning and prioritising on a weekly basis.
There are a lot of design frameworks and methodology. We dont use these blindly, but we only apply the appropriate tools and frameworks based on what the project needs. You will identify when research is required and when best practices are the way to go. And it is your responsibility to guide and point your non-designer colleagues in the right direction.
You do not just strategize, but you also do the hands-on design work like mapping out Experience Journeys, designing intuitive wireframes, creating clickable prototypes, usability test, facilitating Design Thinking & Ideation workshops.
You will be conducting desk research (competitor analyses, defining personas etc), synthesising your findings into actionable insights by working with Data Science colleagues, presenting your recommendations to Product Owners, implementing the actionables into a MVP.
- Relevant working experience driving CX, UX design in high performance and demanding product teams
- Portfolio showcasing applied knowledge of user-centered design, solutions to design problems, designing human interface from large screen to small screen devices, and examples of design workshop facilitation and artefacts produced
- Proven track record in fast moving agile environment, successful collaboration with multi-disciplinary team across time zones
- Fluency in common industry design tools: Figma, Sketch, Invision and other prototyping tools
- Tertiary education in Design, Visual Communications, or Psychology.
- You will need to be experienced with working in an Agile environment and believe in continuous learning
- Having the entrepreneurial & continuous learning ethos to use human-centred design for problem solving
What we are doing
The Digital Office is at the forefront of BNY Mellons digital transformation and offers the opportunity to work with senior digital leaders across the firm. Launched in 2018, the Digital Office works across all BNY Mellon lines of business to address client priorities and regulatory concerns. As a result, candidates who join will work with a truly cross-functional team to re-imagine challenging business problems and build new solutions. Through this, candidates will gain tangible experience in new digital ways of working and problem solving, using data to drive decision making. Collectively, this will broaden their understanding of the firm and make them a stronger digitally-capable candidate that will enable them to serve as the next generation of BNY Mellon senior leaders.
The Innovation Center Network is part of the Digital Office serves as a springboard for innovation within the organization. At BNY Mellon Innovation centers, we focus on accelerating the firm's digital initiatives, tested and exploring ideas, transforming the way we work, partnering with clients and the wider ecosystem to develop solutions that service our clients and shape the industry.
Who we are
For over 230 years, Bank of New York Mellon (BNY Mellon) has been at the center of the global financial markets, providing the worlds leading institutions the tools, capabilities, and services to be distinctive investors. BNY Mellon has approximately $15 billion in revenues and market capitalization of approximately $50 billion.
BNY Mellon is a leader in the world of investment services and investment management, and our businesses support the full range of stakeholders of the financial system including:
- Managing the custody of over $35.5 trillion financial assets of the worlds leading institutional investors, hedge funds, sovereign wealth funds, and corporates
- Investing over $1.8 trillion as one of the largest global asset managers across a wide range of asset classes
- Providing collateral, liquidity, and funding for the worlds largest banks through our markets franchise
- Serving family offices and high net worth individuals in our top 10 wealth manager ($250 billion assets)
- Providing a full suite of solutions to advisors, broker-dealers, family offices, hedge and '40 Act fund managers, registered investment advisor firms and wealth managers (over $1.8 trillion in client assets)
- Advising large global corporations on a range of trust and other solutions
- Providing integrated managed data services to asset managers (over $4.7 trillion)
In addition, BNY Mellon is a strategic partner to a variety of financial technology companies and a convener of influential industry and market structure forums.
Bachelor's degree in psychology, user experience, design, human computer interaction or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience required; advanced degree preferred 10-12 years of experience required; experience in the securities or financial services industry is a plus