A POSTDOCTORAL POSITION is available in the Yong Laboratory of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York City, to identify and develop novel strategies for modeling and mitigating cancer evolution in malignant gliomas before and during multimodality treatment, towards the goal of effecting personalized, precision glioma therapy. A current area of interest is the use of epigenetic agents to modify DNA repair patterns at key cancer driver gene loci in the presence of chemotherapy. A large and expanding bank of low and high grade malignant gliomas from freshly resected multisector surgical specimens, together with derived spheroid cell lines and clinical data, are available for interrogation. The research is a collaborative effort among faculty in the Departments of Neurosurgery, Oncological Sciences, Pathology, and Genetics and Genomic Sciences. The successful candidate will integrate detailed sequencing and molecular data from bulk tissue and cell lines, clinical/radiographic information, and in vitro and in vivo experimental findings to delineate novel predictive and prognostic glioma phenotypes. The fellow will be encouraged to initiate and develop independent lines of inquiry.
- Design and conduct research experiments in the field of neuro-oncology.
- Perform standard in vitro molecular biology, biochemistry, and imaging/microscopy techniques, including: RNA extraction, protein extraction, DNA extraction, Western blot, PCR and RT-qPCR, immunofluorescence, agarose gels, etc.
- Culture and maintain multiple cell lines from surgical specimens
- Handle, inject, and dissect small animals
- Collect, prepare and analyze research data using statistical methods, and integrate findings with the scientific literature
- Keep a detailed notebook summarizing experiments, and maintain electronic records
- Display data for presentation in research conferences
- Participate/assist in manuscript and grant writing
- Participate in the training of fellows, residents, students and volunteer workers as needed.
- Assist with ordering of supplies and general lab maintenance as needed
- Attend relevant national and international research conferences for the presentation of scientific work