At Arup, our creative spirit compels us to express our creativity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to provide technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. We opened our first office over 70 years ago and now employ 16,000 people globally. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever-changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future. Arup is rising to these new challenges by bringing together broad-minded individuals from multiple disciplines, investing in research, creating and crafting better solutions for clients and the wider world.
Our New York Office is looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join our Tunnel Ventilation group. You will primarily work on large-scale infrastructure projects that are both local to the tri-state area and across North America.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Mechanical engineering with an emphasis on the particular problems of ventilation of subway systems including underground stations and tunnels as well as vehicular tunnels.
- Analysis of subway networks using Subway Environment Simulation (SES) software
- Supporting fire and life safety, tunnel ventilation, and station ventilation design for both normal and emergency conditions.
- Design of tunnel ventilation systems including fans, sound attenuators, ductwork, dampers, etc. from concept to detailed design.
- Developing CFD modeling techniques to size, evaluate and improve tunnel ventilation strategies for subsurface transit systems. Perform simulations according to the agreed strategy with our clients. Analyze and assess the physical meaning, consistency, and accuracy of the CFD results. Create detailed reports of findings.
- Collaborating closely with other CFD modelers, and work with mechanical, electrical, architectural and structural teams.
- Developing a relationship with clients and support business development.
- Coordinating with multiple disciplines and working with project managers to help complete work you're doing
- Writing reports for internal and external purposes based on findings
- Presenting technical material in traditional and innovative ways for review by technical and non-technical audiences
- Understanding trends and methodologies in the Mechanical Engineering and Tunneling Industry
- Participating in local Professional Associations
The Qualified Professional will have:
- Bachelor's degree/Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience using computational fluid dynamics codes and SES software for smoke control and fire modeling
- Familiarity with CFD codes for building physics applications
- EIT License
Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare, 10% 401k match, 4 weeks of paid time off and profit share.
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to grow.