Requisition Number: MANAG01424
The Managing Editor at Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group (MCPG) will be responsible for approving text and cover/jacket materials before printing; ensuring quality is maintained and books are finished in a timely manner. Additional key responsibilities include: 1) Run production meetings 2) Schedule books and make decisions about scheduling priorities 3) Assist in training production editors and communicating procedural changes across departments 4) Production-edit 15-20 fiction and nonfiction titles per year.
What you'll do:
- Maintain individual book schedules and adhere to seasonal deadlines for manuscript and art delivery, sales materials, data feeds, etc.
- Run regular imprint production meetings
- Traffic and proofread production stages
- Troubleshoot scheduling issues
- Set up, maintain, and confirm title metadata for Edelweiss deadlines, etc.
- Direct and advise production editors in order to keep book schedules on track
- Approve jacket/cover and text final materials
- Review pricing estimates and sign off on final prices, ISBNs, and barcodes
- Assess fiction and nonfiction (including complex highly designed and/or illustrated nonfiction) manuscripts and accompanying art to determine specific copyediting required
- Hire and manage freelance copyeditors and indexers where necessary
- Review copyeditors’ work and review all queries to ensure that they have been resolved, and make recommendations to resolve unresolved queries if needed
- Meet and communicate with production editors, designers, editors, production managers,managing editors, legal dept, publishers, and authors as needed concerning scheduling; procedural changes, query resolution and complying with legal department directives
What you'll bring:
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects under changing conditions
- Proven experience in gathering and analyzing information skillfully
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and project management skills
- Original thinking and creativity
- Ability to communicate changes effectively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of publishing processes and industry standards
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Ability to direct and assess production editors’ and independent contractors’ copyediting, proofreading, and indexing
- Ability to run meetings in work-from-home environment
- At least 4-5 years’ experience as an associate managing editor or production editor
- Knowledge of Office 2016; Adobe Acrobat, familiarity with electronic copyediting and PDF markup procedures
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC.