New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s races, community events, instruction and training resources, and youth programs give hundreds of thousands of people each year the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top pro runners and committed amateurs alike while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for the City. But NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire more than 100,000 kids in underserved communities in New York City, all 50 states, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR implements a unique nonprofit model that teams contributed and earned income to make all its efforts possible. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
Strategic Partnerships is responsible for developing revenue-generating partnerships from corporate and community-based organizations and managing those relationships. Partnerships vary from year-round engagement to specific races and events. They work closely with all of NYRR’s departments to develop programs that maximize revenue opportunities and ensure NYRR‘s partners’ objectives are being met. Licensing & Merchandising provides merchandising services to every area of the company. Internal merchandising services include managing the development of all weekly race premiums, premiums for programs such as YCS, development and distribution of staff clothing and all product needs for the organization.
Runner Products supports the training, racing and community experience of our runners - through classes, seminars and customized training programs. The team also provides experiences to enhance the runner's engagement with the running community and their experience at NYRR events, whether it is through our membership program, race photography or ticketed events. The Runner Services team is the information source for our runner, serving for a conduit of information and an advocate for NYRR's runner-first philosophy. NYRR’s Charity Programs include Champion’s Circle and over 350 charities who partner with NYRR to raise over $30 million cumulatively through volunteers running the marathon each fall.
About the Position
NYRR is seeking an analytical, adaptable, and motivated Manager of Runner Services to lead a team that provides exceptional service to NYRR’s community of runners. This role has two primary functions: 1) to lead a team of customer service representatives and 2) to provide internal feedback from the runner’s perspective on a variety of cross-functional, organization-wide projects. Responsibilities include management of a group of customer service representatives who provide customer care across phone, email, and social channels, as well as runner support at races and events. Management tasks include team development, scheduling, payroll processing, internal status reporting, and handling escalated issues.
Job Responsibilities (primary and secondary duties):
- Represent NYRR to the running community in an inspirational, empathetic, and organized fashion.
- Represent the runner’s perspective internally; is an advocate for the runner by providing regular, two-way communication between the runner and NYRR.
- Manage a team of Runner Service representatives; continually optimize team’s efficiency through the creation of policies and best practices.
- Handle escalated customer issues through positive and supportive interactions, while adhering to NYRR policies and procedures.
- Optimize the integration of NYRR’s customer service CRM system, and work closely with IT to enhance its functionality to improve effectiveness.
- Collaborate with internal departments to research and resolve escalated runner issues and respond externally to runner inquiries.
- Participate in a variety of meetings, committees, taskforces, and/or other related groups to communicate information and facilitate continuous improvement of programs and services.
- Lead inter-departmental staff trainings and on-site orientations.
- Lead the customer service function at events as necessary to assist with all runner-related issues and inquiries.
- Process payroll for team on a bi-weekly schedule.
- Produce Runner Services schedule 2-4 weeks in advance.
- Demonstrate passion and commitment to the NYRR brand and core values: excellence, teamwork, passion, innovation, service, and integrity.
- Additional duties as needed.
Supervisory Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively manage employee performance through communication of expectations and standards
- Encourage an environment of transparency, support, development, and growth
- Provide effective feedback and coaching to employees, including potential areas of improvement
- Create goals for the team and individual employees
- Prepare performance appraisals. Work with next level management (directors or department head as applicable) when employee performance does not meet standards
- Delegate and distribute tasks and responsibilities appropriately
- Ensure employees and staff adhere to company policies and procedures
- Make decisions based on best interest of organization
- Track employee attendance, if applicable
- Collaborate with Human Resources as support
- Promote team culture that coincides with NYRR mission and core values
- 7-10 years of customer service experience
- Experience leading or managing a team of part-time staff
- Experience working with CRM systems
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required
Skills and Attributes:
- Passion for NYRR and the brand’s Run For Life mission
- Success at managing a wide array of tasks and projects and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Excellent troubleshooting skills; the ability to analyze and develop information and content to present internally and to customers; reporting of the initial issue to internal teams and the development/reporting of the response to the runner
- Demonstrated knowledge and working experience within digital, mobile and social spaces
- Candidate should be organized team player with a personable manner, excellent customer service and problem-solving skills, and should have the ability to work with a diverse group of staff and participants
- Excellent communication and listening skills a must
- Must be self-motivated, results oriented; ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to work select weekends and to occasionally adjust hours to accommodate the needs of the job
- Previous experience in fitness industry a plus
- Multi-lingual skills a plus