Group Leader - Harlem
Position: Group Leader
Location: 321 East 111th St. New York, NY 10029
Salary Range: $18.00 per hour
Employment Type: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Schedule: 20-25 hours per week
Founded in 1876, The Boys’ Club of New York (BCNY) is a youth development organization with the mission to empower boys and young men, ages 7 to 21, by providing effective programs and a supportive community. BCNY provides evidence-based programs to address the evolving social, emotional, health, creative, educational, and vocational needs of our members in meaningful, lasting ways. BCNY develops programs to cultivate positive qualities in members and strives to continually deepen and broaden our impact.
We are a COVID-19 proactive organization who makes every effort to create and maintain an environment that is safe for our members and staff. The Group Leader is responsible for the direct guidance, supervision, and safety of youth under their care, while ensuring an engaging and intellectually stimulating member experience. He/ she will build rapport with members through positive interactions in program activities. The Group Leader will also assist in managing program assistants and volunteers.
Frontline employees are not required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, however, BCNY strongly encourages all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and obtain a booster shot.
- Supervise and coordinate the daily activities of a group of 10-21 boys.
- Plan, implement, and facilitate age-appropriate curriculum, activities, and games for members
- Provide guidance, problem-solving, facilitation, and behavior modification as needed
- Participate in indoor and outdoor activities
- Assist with daily set-up, daily clean up, and transportation
- Ensure proper care of all area materials, organize room and report any misused or damaged materials to the Program Director
- Use behavior management strategies to defuse inappropriate behavior and communicate behavior incidents with the Age Group Director and other necessary staff
- Attend mandatory professional development trainings
- Other duties as assigned
- Previous experience in youth development, education, or afterschool
- Strong communication skills
- Experience managing multiple priorities
- Well organized, able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Associates’ or Bachelor’s degree preferred
- First Aid and CPR certification desirable
What We Offer
- PTO: Sick time only
The Boys’ Club of New York is an equal opportunity employer
and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law. If you have a disability or other protected need requiring an accommodation, please contact Human Resources.