Job Description Summary
This Field Service Engineer position is responsible for successfully completing required training on BD Bioscience products and participating in field practical training as preparation for customer account assignments within an assigned territory. The Field Service Engineer is required to maintain schedules for preventative maintenance inspections and installations, and respond to all repair activities for warranty and post-warranty instruments as assigned. The Field Service Engineer must successfully troubleshoot, repair and verify instrument performance on all activities and completes instrument installations, field updates, preventative maintenance inspections and all required field reporting in a timely manner. This position may be required to provide service support outside their assigned territory. This position requires timely and accurate submittal of administrative duties including EFSRs, expense reports and payroll forms.
The Field Service Engineer works to ensure customer satisfaction through quality workmanship, documentation, customer management and demonstrates professionalism that is consistent with Becton Dickinson's image. This position must comply with Quality, GMP, ISO and safety regulations and adheres to company travel expense policies.
- Successfully completes all formal training on core clinical and/or research BD products as required by territory assignment.
- Capable of interpreting instrument performance verification data used as an indicator of instrument optimization and takes corrective action when required.
- Repairs instruments of moderate complexity by troubleshooting, repairing and ensuring an acceptable level of instrument performance is achieved and with limited assistance. Works toward repair metrics as defined by the Service Organization and within the scope of the position.
- Schedules and performs installations, preventative maintenance inspections, reliability updates and works to achieve measurable goals for these activities as set by the Organization.
- Manages customer satisfaction by instilling confidence in BD Biosciences' products and services through quality workmanship and professional characteristics consistent with the BD image.
- Maintains a professionalism image at all times through dress, behavior, oral and written communications.
- Successfully completes project assignments under management direction for skill improvement within the scope of the job.
- Participates in development of team goals and objectives and produces results that contribute to the team's core objectives.
- Routinely communicates as appropriate to peers, team leaders, management, Sales and internal associates on daily activities, critical situations, and business opportunities.
- Participates and successfully completes all required BD continuing education programs consistent for the job position.
- Provides leads in selling service offerings to customers within assigned service territory by using team leader, field management and internal contract coordinators as resources.
- Communicates with the Division, via the PIR system on all product quality issues.
- Manages a service territory by maintaining service customer files to include service reports, checklists, Engineering Change Notice (ECN) files, Field Change Notice (FCN), customer letters, technical reports, service bulletins and historical account information.
- Maintains a targeted and accurate balance of inventory of service parts sufficient to support service requirements within assigned service territory and works to achieve organizational metrics.
- Maintains assigned company assets such as test equipment, documentation, tools, company car, and inventory.
- Prepares timely and accurate field service reports, expense reporting and payroll time sheets as required by management and linked to regional and organizational goals.
- Complies with all Quality, ISO and GMP regulations including routine updates of SOPs, WIPs, training logs and Desktop Procedures as required by the organization.
- Follows BDIS Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) policies and procedures for general laboratory safety and takes protective measures while in BSL3 laboratories and adheres to special policies regarding BSL4 biohazard environments. Takes responsibility for safety in immediate work area. Participates in EH&S training programs.
- Notifies supervisor and EH&S of all observed hazardous conditions or unsafe work practices that threaten health and life. May provide recommendations on maintaining the safety of the work environment.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Electronic Theory and Troubleshooting. Strong understanding of analog and digital electronics and the demonstrated ability to apply concepts in troubleshooting to determine defective components on printed circuit boards as required and uses waveforms and signal processing to determine failures.
- Computer Hardware and Software. Diagnoses operating system problems using utilities for both BD and non-BD applications. Troubleshoots networking problems within a network system consistent with BD service repair philosophy.
- Writing Skills. Competent in writing documents, monthly reports, and other required administrative tasks using proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Oral Communication. Fluent in communication to customers, peers, Sales, management and internal associates and works to build synergies. Has effective listening skills.
- Organizing and Planning. Effective planning of all work activities. Well organized and neat in filing, reporting and maintenance of inventory.
- Communication Tools. Competent in preparing worksheets and written documents using word processing programs. Competent in the use of system email and use of internet and intranet services. Must be proficient in the use BD Biosciences data management systems that require routine interactions required for all field reporting.
- Business Acumen. Basic understanding of the impact on the service business from quality workmanship and manages business costs associated with service work.
- Must possess and maintain a valid state-issued driver's license and meet BD's auto safety standards.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Typically requires an ASEE degree or a technical equivalent with a minimum of three years of experience in field engineering or related fields where a strong record of troubleshooting problems on moderate to complex instrumentation has been demonstrated
Primary Work Location
USA MD - Baltimore