Essay Writing Workshop Instructor - Harlem, NY
Position: Essay Writing Workshop Instructor
Location: 321 E111th Street New York, NY 10029
Salary Range: $35.00 per hour
Hours: 4-20 hours per week
Employment Type: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Founded in 1876, The Boys’ Club of New York(BCNY) is a youth development organization with the mission to empower boys andyoung men, ages 7 to 21, by providing effective programs and a supportivecommunity. BCNYprovides evidence-based programs to address the evolving social, emotional,health, creative, educational, and vocational needs of our members inmeaningful, lasting ways. BCNY develops programs to cultivate positivequalities in members and strives to continually deepen and broaden our impact.
Under the direction of the Director of High School Access, the Writing Instructor will provide individual and/or small-group tutoring. Tutors will be strongly supported by the Director of High School Access and are responsible for planning their own lessons and finding materials. We are seeking a reliable, highly motivated candidate with a strong record of working with young people.
Frontline employees are not required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, however, BCNY strongly encourages all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and obtain a booster shot.
- Plan, organize, and implement appropriate programs and lesson plans to enhance writing skill development of participants
- Work regularly with the Director ofHigh School Access and other relevant staff to assess the needs of individualstudents and adapt lessons to meet those needs
- Observe and track member progress andattendance
- Reinforce positive student behaviorand clubhouse rules; maintain a positive relationship with all members,families and staff
- Write, implement and adapt acurriculum and training methods that meets participants’ interests
- Attend required department meetings andprofessional development trainings
- Lead Students through the writing process to produce two essays and short essays
- Review, critique and give feedback to students through drafts of their essays.
- Review and present student’s final essays
- Model exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree with a focus in arelevant field
- At least 2 years of experience as a Writing,Reading, and/or English Tutor or classroom teacher
- Experience working with students from 7-18 yearsold
- Knowledge of NYC school standards preferred
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and toaddress the varying needs of the boys
What We Offer
- PTO: Sick time only
The Boys’ Club of New York is an equal opportunity employer
and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law. If you have a disability or other protected need requiring an accommodation, please contact Human Resources.