Requisition Number: EDITO01415
The Macmillan Children's Publishing Group (MCPG) is looking for an Editorial Director to provide the publishing vision for the Imprint. Key responsibilities for this role include manage the list and supervise the staff; contribute and be accountable for imprint goals; acquire 5-8 high-profile titles annually; liaise with in-house departments and maintain relationships with authors and agents across the industry.
What you'll do:
Define, Expand, and Grow the Editorial List:
- Curate and identify opportunities in the title list.
- Set an editorial vision for staff.
- Appraise book projects and promising submissions brought by staff and approve P&L.
- Grow publishing programs around successful brands.
- Develop publishing ideas to existing brands or authors from other spheres (ie: adult).
- Manage titles as assigned by Publisher
- Pitch authors and book ideas to publisher, and pursue book projects of own creation.
- Manage relationships with literary agents.
- Cultivate an outstanding list of award-winners, bestsellers, and successful titles.
- Understand and be accountable for the imprint P&;L.
- Lead and participate actively in editorial and other creative meetings and processes in order to keep the entire team onschedule.
Imprint positioning and branding:
- Present internally to other departments to convey the goals of the imprint.
- Stand-in for the Publisher effectively at in-house meetings.
- Oversee the cover process as it relates to editor, designer, agent, author.
- Attend conferences and trade shows as an ambassador for the imprint.
- Supervise editorial staff on the viability of submissions.
- Supervise staff on the editing of books in progress, quality of jacket copy, and other day-to-day editorial work.
- Play a role in the publishing program, working alongside Publisher to help shape each list.
- Work with Publisher to balance the list in terms of categories, age-range, price point, and schedule.
What you'll bring:
- Approximately 10-12 years professional publishing experience
- Leadership experience; ability to work effectively with staff and executive trade team.
- Experience editing high-quality and successful books for young readers (picture books, novels, etc.)
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of competing and comparison titles.
- Comfortable presenting books to in-house colleagues and representing imprint within the larger children’s books industry.
- Confidence with the imprint P&L and company P&L.
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC.