The Editorial Director/Executive Editor acquires and manages book development projects that contribute to a vibrant trade list for Hachette Nashville. This professional oversees and analyzes book budgets, ensuring achievement of sales, profit and return-on-investment goals. Reporting to the VP, Publisher, this professional helps to shape the strategic vision for the Hachette Nashville faith-based trade publishing programs, ensuring alignment with publishing trends, broad reader appeal and profitability. The position will be based either in Nashville, TN, or New York, NY.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with VP Publisher to shape the vision for the Hachette Nashville publishing programs, ensuring profitability
- Acquire and manage projects from a variety of sources including seasoned authors with a proven track record, as well as up-and-coming influencers with a following
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with authors and agents, ensuring a diverse flow of proposals for consideration
- Serve as right hand to VP, Publisher, managing day-to-day trade editorial operations in her absence; supervise editorial staff, as appropriate
- Assist in developing marketing plans for acquired titles and plans for author development and branding, in collaboration with VP, Marketing
- Develop and execute strategies for profitable backlist title reissues and content development projects related to devotional and gift items
- Represent division at tradeshows and industry events
- Develop and manage individual book budgets and P & L statements in collaboration with the Production team and Finance Director.
- Review all contracts for titles of responsibility and manage them from signing to payment process.
- Compile, analyze and provide financial information to Finance Director such as unit costs, royalty advances, etc. for all titles
- Participate in post-pub analysis
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Minimum of 8-10 years of Christian publishing experience with a proven track record of acquiring and editing profitable titles.
- Solid knowledge of book publishing processes and functions – Editorial, Managing Editorial, Production, Design, Copyediting and Marketing.
- Strong contacts in the Christian book publishing industry and knowledgeable of Christian publishing and cultural trends that impact Christian living, popular culture, publishing and entertainment
- Experience developing and managing budgets for book projects.
- Experience supervising staff in the book publishing field.
- Proven aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings to diverse audiences.
- Must be results driven and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations and problem-solving as needed.
- Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow up and follow through.
- Drives change and innovation by improving work product or process, and challenges established norms where appropriate.
- Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization; takes the lead in inspiring others to work together for mutual benefit.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail.
- An ability to travel both domestically and internationally.