The Muse is the most trusted and beloved career platform, connecting individuals and companies on a more authentic level. We support over 75 million people looking to craft meaningful careers through TheMuse.com and our employer partners. Smart companies work with us to attract today’s top talent, giving candidates the information they need to find the company that is right for them. Why? Because life’s too short to hate your career.
As the SEO Lead, you will be responsible for strategizing and executing technical and content-driven SEO initiatives to acquire The Muse users efficiently and at scale. You will lead the development, launch, and optimization of SEO initiatives across all our properties. Meeting our clients’ and job seekers’ needs is an essential component of our product strategy, contributing to revenue growth and product capabilities that help differentiate The Muse within the HR and Talent space.
This role reports directly to the Senior Vice President of Product
How you’ll make an impact
- You’ll develop, manage, and evolve our SEO and SEM strategy, roadmap & vision to meaningfully grow The Muse audience
- You’ll own responsibility for developing SEO product and technical priorities, working with our content and product teams to prioritize the product roadmap and balance organic growth with user experience
- You’ll partner with our product, content and marketing teams to provide SEO recommendations and inform technical requirements for initiatives such as site audits, redesigns or relaunches to ensure best-in-class SEO design and coding
- You’ll act as a subject matter expert for all things SEM and SEO by leading development, campaign management, testing and execution with a unified vision for new customer acquisition with a focus on Conversion Rate (job seeker applies)
- You will have solid experience analyzing data to: understand consumer insights; help develop target audiences, keyword lists, or SEO content; provide clear direction to our content and marketing teams to optimize campaigns; and evaluate media or content performance
- You’ll build a deep understanding of the strategic role of SEO among executive stakeholders, then clearly communicate the execution and impact of that strategy
- You’ll uncover deep understanding of consumer audiences, define what consumers are searching for and present actionable recommendations based upon those consumer intent insights
- You’ll possess a deep understanding of on-page and technical SEO ranking factors
Why we’ll love you
- 8+ years of experience running SEO teams to drive revenue via SEO and content marketing
- Experience with the tactics of on-page (e.g., server-side rendering, crawling, natural language generation and SEO A/B testing) and off-page SEO across all major search engines
- A proven ability to scale organic search for sites with 5MM+ monthly search traffic
- A reputation as an industry leader; you’re heavily involved in the SEO community
- Strong technical background, either from academic, engineering, or hands-on product development experience
- You have a working knowledge of BI and SEO tools. (we use Looker, Google Analytics, Google Optimize, Search Console, Brightedge)
- Prior startup or high-growth experience a big plus! Experience working with remote teams a plus, but not required.
- You have empathy for job seekers and are passionate about helping them—you’ve been there too and want to be a part of building a better experience.
- You're curious, know when you’re not at the bottom of the problem, and will scratch under the surface with the right questions to make sure we understand what we are building and why.
- You have exceptional critical reasoning and problem solving skills.
- You are able to lay out edge cases, identify dependencies, and lay out the if/then in any scenario. You likely find puzzles fun.
- You're flexible and comfortable with ambiguity, and know how to look at new considerations or data and determine if any changes need to be made.
- You're collaborative, diplomatic, and humble, with outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- You're hypothesis-driven, understand MVPs, and intuitively think of what the easiest, smallest thing we can do to test a hypothesis would be.
At The Muse, we believe that great ideas come from anywhere. We support a collaborative environment and value open participation from individuals with different ideas, experiences, and perspectives. We believe having a diverse team makes The Muse a more interesting and innovative place to work, and we strive every day to make The Muse a welcoming and inclusive place for all.
If this could be your dream job, please submit a cover letter and resume, so we can get to know you a little better.