Environmental Protection Specialist

Department Of Energy New Underwood, SD
* Duties

Help Duties Summary

(See Frequently Asked Questions for more information).

Where would I be working?

Western Area Power Administration, Upper Great Plains Region, Environment (B0400), Huron, SD or New Underwood, SD

Use only if more than one location is involved

Multiple Duty Location(s)

One vacancy exists that may be filled at Huron, SD OR New Undewood, SD. The preferred location is the Huron Office.

Find out more about living conditions at this duty station.

Learn more about this agency


The incumbent performs environmental protection activities. Principal duties include identifying regularoy requirements and matching them to Western program activites to ensure Western is in compliance. Major duties include managing the hazardous and toxic materials program, administering an environmental inspection program, and providing guidance and technical assistance to other Western employees.

Travel Required

25% or less - Overnight travel may be required up to 5 nights per month.

Supervisory status


Promotion Potential


Who May Apply This job is open to…

* Federal Employee

* Former Federal Employee



* 30% Disabled

* Individuals with disabilities


* VRA (GS-11 and under)


Questions? This job is open to 4 groups.

* Job family (Series)

0028 Environmental Protection Specialist

* Requirements

Help Requirements Conditions of Employment

* U.S. Citizenship

* This employer participates in the e-Verify program

* See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements



You must meet all the qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement. You may review the qualification requirements here.


A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as: For the GS-11 level: Experience with hazardous and toxic materials: spill response and cleanup; Federal and State hazardous waste laws, regulations, rules and guidance. For the GS-12 in addition to the requirementss for the GS-11, specialized experience includes experience with NEPA and project management.

Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!

* Knowledge of EPA standards, manuals, established procedures and policy statements sufficient to interpret, and apply guidelines.

* Ability to communicate orally and in writing sufficient to present facts andrecommendations.

* Ability to effectively represent Western in meetings.

* Knowledge of and ability to interpret EPA regulations concerning hazardous and toxic waste program.

"Experience" refers to paid and unpaid experience. Examples of qualifying unpaid experience may include: volunteer work done through National Service programs (such as Peace Corps and AmeriCorps); as well as work for other community-based philanthropic and social organizations. Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills; and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.

Time-in-Grade: Current Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement to receive consideration.

CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.

You must meetallqualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.


For this position, education cannot be substituted for specialized experience above the GS-11 level.

If this vacancy specifically states that certain educational requirements must be met (also known as a "positive educational requirement"), you must provide documentation supporting any education claims in your application. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.

Similar jobs you might like