Northwell Health Physician Partners Practices located throughout the Suffolk County area seeking Practice Medical Assistants for permanent full time positions.
Ideal candidates will have a Medical Assistant Certification from an accredited school, a minimum education of a High School Diploma or equivalent, and present to have basic Medical Assistant skills. i.e. ability to perform the following skills unsupervised; phlebotomy, EKG and vital signs (including taking a manual blood pressure).
Our Practice Medical Assistant will be proficient in electronic medical records (EMR) keeping, and have basic computer skills/knowledge.
The hours of the practice are variable and are based on the physicians' schedule and community needs.
Typical office hours are 8:00am-7:00pm, with varying schedules throughout the week and weekends, depending on physicians schedules.
As these Practice Medical Assistant positions are full time, these positions come with eligibility to enroll into Northwell Health benefits.
Practice Medical Assistant Position Summary
The Practice Medical Assistant performs patient care under the physicians./nurses' direct supervision. Duties include, but are not limited to; preparing patient for physician, administering, obtaining and recording diagnostic laboratory test results. Assists in coordinating organization of care to meet patient needs including, preparing, organizing and filing reports into the medical record.
Practice Medical Assistant Responsibilities Include:
- Collaborates with members of the health care team in coordinating and implementing plans for patient care. May record reason for visit and related patient information for practitioner review.
- Performs vital signs, height, weight, and screening procedures which may include, but are not limited to, head circumference, audiometry, and vision testing. Documents findings in the medical record.
- Collects and assists providers in collection of specimens, as required, using appropriate protocols such as infection control. Completes requisitions, labels and routes specimens according to standard procedure.
- Performs and documents daily controls and calibration of laboratory equipment when needed. Informs RN/MD/Lab Supervisor of when inaccurate controls are noted.
- Performs electrocardiograms and phlebotomy in accordance with provider orders.
- Adheres to infection control standards including, but not limited to, hand hygiene, use of PPE, isolation of patient with known infectious disease, and equipment disinfection/sterilization.
- Assists physicians and nurses with special procedures and examinations including, but not limited to lumbar puncture, pelvic exam, etc. following appropriate protocols such as infection control, universal protocol, and patient identification. Secures supplies, ensures patient is properly undressed and draped, provides instruments to physicians, holds patient, as required and assists patient after procedure/examination.
- Maintains orderliness and cleanliness of examination rooms; stocks assigned rooms and cupboards and insures par levels of supplies are maintained. Checks and completes required logs and equipment including refrigerator logs, eyewash logs, sample medications, AED, suction and other required checks.
- May participate in pre-visit chart preparation by ensuring required lab results and documentation are available in the medical record for practitioner review (for practices using paper medical records).
- Performs variety of other clerical functions such as filing of paper medical records, processing insurance forms, preparing financial records, photocopying, answering phones, and assuring efficient flow of patients through the suite, etc.
- Performs related duties, as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Successful completion of a six-month (6) to one (1) year course in Medical Assisting at an accredited school, required.
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) from the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), preferred.
- Prior experience and demonstrated competence as a medical assistant, preferred.
- Data entry skills (80 kpm), required.
- Basic mathematical aptitude, desirable.
- Ability to communicate effectively.