The DIC Mammography Technologist operates mammography radiographic equipment; positions patients, processes images, maintains and cleans equipment. Performs various diagnostic x-ray exams . Maintains required documentation.
1. Prepares patient for exam. To relieve patient of pre-testing anxiety, translates examination into layman terms based on professional knowledge. Ensures consent form for procedure is obtained, if necessary.
2. Performs various x-ray exams according to established standards, procedures and procedures of the division. Positions patient for taking of radiographs according to the departmental standard operating procedures. Arranges, attaches, or adjusts immobilization and supportive devices for patients. Adjusts the x-ray equipment and operates controls to obtain correct exposure Monitors patient’s condition in accordance with technical and safety standards. Recognizes and promptly reports patient’s motor abnormalities; including, fainting, discoloration, contrast reactions etc., to the Radiologist. Keys in patient history data and other pertinent information obtained from requisition. Monitor’s patient’s condition during the procedure. Operates equipment for transferring computed images to film and archival of disc memory to tape.
3. Processes and maintains exposed images. Labels film for identification and maintains required records. Utilizes film markers and ensures images are properly marked as the “right” or “left” side. Ensures images are legibly labeled with correct date and patient identification. Enters the exam onto the daily log sheet as needed. Properly completes the correct tracking steps for each examination.
4. May assist physicians in the performance of mammographic image-guided interventional/special breast exams or procedures.
5. Performs related duties, as required.
· Graduate of an accredited Radiologic Technology program, required.
· New York State Department of Health licensure as a Radiologic Technologist, required.
· American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) registration in Mammography, required.
· Minimum of one (1) year experience in mammography imaging, required.