Requisition Number: DIREC01941
Director of Team Member Relations will be a subject matter expert with robust experience in the implementation of positive team member relations (PER) and communication strategies in a decentralized company. Serving as a trusted advisor, this role leads our PER and strategic HR communication initiatives while providing in-depth PER guidance and support to business unit (BU) HR to meet operational needs.
Reporting to the CHRO, the ideal candidate would provide resources and guidance when complex labor and employment issues arise among team members. The ideal candidate would approach their work proactively and consultatively, educating team members and leaders on ELLWOOD policies, enabling them to make decisions that provide a fair and consistent employment experience, and stewarding the employment and cultural brand of ELLWOOD. We are looking for a leader who can execute tactically and think strategically as an individual contributor.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Essential Duties/Responsibilities include the following to be performed directly or in conjunction with others. Other duties may be assigned.
- Support the ELLWOOD positive team member relations (PER) efforts to maintain a union-free status by collaborating with Business Unit (BU) leaders and supporting ELLWOOD’s corporate PER policy and philosophy.
- Partner with the CHRO and General Counsel and draw on business acumen (operational, financial, legal, commercial, safety and technical) to build and implement a PER strategy and scalable solutions to:
- Maintain ELLWOOD’s union-free status, and
- Maintain and improve team member engagement.
- Develop and implement a PER communication strategy that helps educate BU HR, BU leaders, and team members about the company and its PER philosophy using a multi-faceted approach to messaging and channels (e.g. Team ELLWOOD App, roundtable meetings, etc.).
- Own and lead the company engagement survey and work with BUs to identify and implement Action Plans that improve team member engagement.
- In conjunction with legal counsel, design, develop and implement PER and supervisor/manager training programs.
- As a key resource, coach and develop through influence BU HR team and business leaders by sharing skills and knowledge in a manner that is credible and inspires trust and engagement.
- Provide resources and guidance when complex workplace issues arise among team members, especially at key points of the team member lifecycle, such as performance management, end of employment, and job/policy changes.
- Collaborate with EGI and BU HR leaders to develop strategic HR communication that drives engagement and facilitates ELLWOOD’s PER philosophy using a multi-faceted approach to messaging and channels (e.g. Team ELLWOOD App, roundtable meetings, etc.).
- Collaborate with ELLWOOD’s executives and leaders on issues and strategic projects, as necessary.
- Travel to ELLWOOD locations, estimated at 25-30% of time.
- Maintain confidentiality at the highest levels.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; seven years of successful professional experience in labor, team member relations, and disciplinary matters.
- Experience developing a culture of positive team member relations and working with legal counsel.
- Manufacturing industry experience preferred.
- Master's Degree in an appropriate discipline preferred.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of labor and employment law, especially NLRA.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality and act as a trusted advisor at the highest level.
- Ability to influence without authority.
- Experience in navigation of a decentralized organization; ability to accommodate differences of opinion; consultation with stakeholders to develop and execute solutions with sustainable results.
- Ability to think broadly across ELLWOOD, while still taking into consideration individual BU cultures and needs.
- Strong change management mindset and abilities to meet organizational goals within a continuously changing environment.
- Strong business acumen (operational, financial, legal, commercial, safety and technical).
- Excellent verbal and written skills. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from team members, managers and executives.
- Interpersonal leadership skills, such as listening, informing, patience, openness, integrity, trust, and confidentiality, interpersonal savvy, and conflict management to build effective teams, excellent peer and work relationships.
- Excellent planning and organizational ability to plan and prioritize work activities and multiple projects for self and work teams, develop realistic action plans, and use time and resources efficiently to accomplish objectives within established time periods.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills to deal with a variety of abstractions and concrete variables in situations where only limited or no standardization exists.
- Strong computer skills, especially in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to work outside of normal work hours to meet business needs and tight deadlines.
- Ability to travel (25-30%) regionally; reliable transportation and valid drivers’ license required.
- Abide by all policies and procedures as established by the Company.
WHAT YOU'LL GET:
- 401(k) retirement plan with Employer Match
- Affordable health care and dental plans
- Company-paid Life, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Vacation and personal day
- Wellness benefits
- Eligible for yearly discretionary bonus
- and more . . .
EOE, including disability/vets