The City of New Albany Indiana currently has Full time positions with the Street Department. Applicants to assist with repairs and maintaining and improving the streets, buildings and/or facilities within the designated areas of the City to ensure an excellent City is provided for or citizens and visitors.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: “*“ denotes an essential function of the job
- Cleans and sweeps roadways, sidewalks and surrounding areas to remove rubbish, debris, vegetation and strata.
- Paint fire hydrants.
- Works in and/or around sewer pump stations.
- Assists in water repairs and related work.
- Completes patchwork and crack sealing as need.
- Fills potholes using appropriate materials.
- Prepares roads and curbs for paving.
- Back-fills curbs upon completion of work.
- Keeps signs and intersections clear of limbs and grass.
- Mows grass and trims weeds along City streets and in medians.
- Removes trash as necessary.
- Checks equipment before use.
- Determines when equipment needs to be used.
- Operates equipment according to safety guidelines.
- Performs maintenance when it is necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE:
Demonstrate informative and professional assistance when working with vendors, co-workers, and the public.
Act independently and originate new procedures and new approaches to problems.
Maintain initiative to preserve the flow of work.
Work under stress and with commitment to deadlines.
Sustain interpersonal relationships which encourage openness, candor and trust, both internally and with the general public.
Complete projects and/or reports in accurate and timely manner
Maintain City information in a confidential manner.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Ability to work as a team member.
Display professional appearance, warm demeanor and positive attitude.
Be a motivated self-starter.
Work independently and to be accurate, efficient and organized.
Manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
Work under pressure with time constraints in a changing environment.
Stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl occasionally.
Lift and/or move up to 55 pounds frequently.
Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND CONDITIONS:
This position requires working in both an internal and external environment.
Significant amount of time will be spent working outdoors and in inclimate weather (within reason and safety) to include: hot, humid, cold, rain, ice and snow.
This position requires a flexible work schedule; night and/or weekends may be required.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Graduation from high school or G.E.D equivalent preferred.
Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in written form.
A pleasant, friendly, and outgoing demeanor.
Willingness to take on additional tasks as assigned.
Must have a valid driver's license and good driving record.
Familiar with basic OSHA stands and safety practices.
Experience in Streets and/or maintenance preferred.
EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS:
Computer and peripherals.
Street Department equipment.
Lawn service equipment.