Under general supervision of the Lead Lifeguard, Aquatics Managers, Assistant Aquatics Manager and Aquatics Director this positon will be responsible for ensuring the safety of River Run patrons by preventing and responding to emergencies while upholding facility rules.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
“*“ denotes an essential function of the job
- *Maintain safe swimming conditions in pool, on pool deck, and surrounding areas, following and enforcing health and safety rules.
- *Maintain continuous surveillance of patrons in the facility; acts immediately and appropriately to secure safety of patrons in the event of emergency.
- *Provides emergency care and treatment as required until the arrival of emergency medical services.
- *Interacts with facility patrons to enforce rules and water safety.
- *Prevent incidents by scanning assigned zones (bottom, middle and top) and covering zone in compliance with the 10/20 rule.
- *Supervise swimmers to ensure that they are swimming within the safety protocols.
- *Spot hazards or potential hazards and take measures to prevent accidents in and out of the pool.
- *Control and report unruly behavior and evict individuals not adhering to behavior protocols.
- *Perform rescues in the event of drowning or swimming accidents.
- *Perform first aid and CPR according to the demands of adverse situations.
- *Maintain accurate records as required.
- *Ensure that all pool equipment is stored safely and that any lost items are kept in a safe place.
- *Perform routine maintenance of pool, First Aide room, restrooms, deck area, and surrounding areas to ensure cleanliness, organization, and safety.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisors.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
- Demonstrate informative and professional assistance when working with vendors, co-workers, and the public.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Skill in the application of lifeguarding surveillance and rescue techniques.
- Be punctual for and alert during all shifts
- Ability to prepare routine administrative paperwork.
- Complete projects and/or reports in accurate and timely manner
- Maintain City information in a confidential manner.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- Must be able to easily move through all program areas and effectively communicate and actively interact with customers.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Hear noises and see distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water, anywhere around the zone of responsibility, and on the pool deck. Lifeguard candidates should have a minimum hearing threshold of no more than an average of a 25-decibel loss in both ears over a range of frequencies. Candidates who use hearing aids or other corrective devices for hearing should be able to perform all rescue skills and emergency procedures without interruptions to adjust, retrieve, or install or attach a hearing aid or corrective device.
- Candidates who use corrective eyewear should be able to perform all rescue skills and emergency procedures without interruptions to adjust, clear, or retrieve corrective eyewear.
- Display professional appearance, warm demeanor and positive attitude.
- Be a motivated self-starter.
- Work independently and to be accurate, efficient and organized.
- Stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl frequently.
- Lift and/or move up to 50 pounds frequently.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND CONDITIONS
- This position works primarily outdoors in and around a swimming pool.
- This position requires a flexible work schedule; night and/or weekends will be required.
- The position involves being in an environment with recreational equipment.
- The position involves working in the elements of seasonal weather.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE and TRAINING
- Must be at least 16 years of age (as required by law).
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent, preferred
- Carry a current lifeguard certification from a reputable organization, including CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, First Aid, Bloodborne Pathogens or equivalent or able to obtain.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in written form.
- A pleasant, friendly, and outgoing demeanor.
- Willingness to take on additional tasks as assigned.
EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS
- Computer and peripherals.
- Recreational and aquatics equipment.
Applicant may be considered for a Lead Lifeguard position.